New And Improved G7 BR2 Rangefinder Review

ADMIN

Administrator
When Len contacted me and asked if I would be interested in reviewing the "improved " G7 BR2 Rangefinder I jumped at the opportunity. Having used the original G7 BR2 for three hunting seasons and having harvested a couple of dozen deer, antelope and coyotes at ranges to 1200+ yards, the G7 BR2 has proven to be a key component in my long range hunting success. Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, New And Improved G7 BR2 Rangefinder Review, By Art Caputo. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

It seems to me that this is a very comprehensive, unbiased and thoro presentation of very useful information.

I've used the Leica 1200 then 1600 for a few years. From time to time I have used the PLRF-10.

I have been fairly well conditioned by the small beam thinking. With that said, this article indicates that with a little driver training/experience that hangup may well be destined to become extinct.

I was at a shoot recently where the lighting, wind and mirage were as horrible as one could dream of. My Leica 1600 flat let me down showing only ---- when ranging any distance between 180 and 360 degrees, West. Once the clock started there was no time to mess with getting set up with a rest of any sort. I had to take a rough average of my team mate's several readings for any given target.

I noted that the most prevalent range finder was the original G7 and I heard no complaints. And they ALL out shot me.... Though it wasn't the fault of the rifle or the range finder.......

I've only "looked" through the G7 once and see that I need to do a more thoro personnel assessment.

I'd like to end up like Mr. Caputo with a Terrapin for ELR and something such as the G7 for up to 1500 yards or so...

Thank you for your efforts. Well done!

I appreciate the words Roy!
Your mention of difficulty of ranging in heavy mirage was something I that I didn't mention in the article. I have had quite a few situations with severe mirage during mid day LR antelope and coyote hunting. I could get a solid range with the G7, but the limitation actully became my ability to get a clean shot on the "bouncing" critter.
Art

Greyfox,
Thanks for the great post! I have the original and love it. I always like to upgrade but for the money I think i am going to stick with my original BR2 for now. I really do appreciate all the effort you have put into this and for sharing it with us.

Great write up. Thank You
A question does the new improved model have a different model number or ? Just wondering so I purchase the new version.

Great write up. Thank You
A question does the new improved model have a different model number or ? Just wondering so I purchase the new version.

My understanding is that the improved version is a complete replacement of the original. I didn't see any difference in model designation in the unit. I do know if you buy it on this site or order direct from Gunwerks you will be supplied the new version. If bought used, I be sure to confirm with the seller. The Nee model is officially available for delivery this month according to Len and Andy.

Excellent review. I am one of the mrad scope users and haven't bought a BR2 because of it. Needless to say, I'm really glad they are now offering this!

Is there anyway to tell a new unit from an original G7 BR2? I did not see that in the article?

The new unit has an orange accent on the fire button and a grey Cordura carry case. The originals buttons are all black as well as the case, black rubber foam.

The new unit sports an orange G7 fire button. It does not read "fire" like the original. The directions are different & more simplified as well. I haven't taken mine afield yet but I am sitting here playing with it. Unfortunately, I had to purchase through Amazon.com. They offered me a 12 month free finance purchase plan.

I'm currently looking for an upgrade for my trusted 1600. I'm caught between the combined functions of the BR2 and the accuracy of the Vectronix PLRF10. I have a Kestrel AB. I've never shot past 1500, and it will be interesting to hear end users of the BR2 and their experience with the unit. I know Jeff (Broz) isn't a huge fan of the BR2 but I haven't used it so I can't comment.

Any advice from those who've used either in the field?

I just purchased the 2015 model from Sportoptics.com. This is one sweet ranging system. One thing to note with the new model. The instructions have not been updated and are for the original model. A couple features have been omitted on the new model. You can not change the crosshairs in the new model and you do not have to go into the setup menu to change the brightness. You simply use the up/down buttons to change the brightness.
When I received my 2015 model I thought there was something wrong with it because I couldn't get into the setup menu (using the original models instruction). I contacted Gunwerks and they told me that the basic setup menu has been omitted.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.