Fussy 300 WinMag - can't find a group.

Put the old standby in her...H-4350...you loose some velocity but your groups will be better, worth a try anyway...

This is what I use in mine. 71 grains behind a Nosler 180 AB in a factory A bolt. 1/2 moa.

Just a suggestion. But I've been shooting STW at 100 yards and then moved out to 300. It was around 1 moa at 100 but it shots 1/2 @300. I tried 600 yards and the wind kind of screwed me.

Just a suggestion. But I've been shooting STW at 100 yards and then moved out to 300. It was around 1 moa at 100 but it shots 1/2 @300. I tried 600 yards and the wind kind of screwed me.

I never thought of trying that to see what happened. I *assumed* it would be the same - or similar. I've been obsessed with 100yd groups. Another great idea!

Thank you!

Can I suggest you drop the leadsled and try a front rest and rear bag.
I know of many instances where a leadsled was the cause of fliers.

Cheers.
gun)

My 300 WM has a BRUX #3 at 26". Load work up was done in 15 rounds! Would of been less had I started with a higher powder charge. But better to be safe. Between myself and a friend we have a few Brux barrels and all have shot VERY WELL. You really should try some H1000, FED GM215M, and a Berger 215. Start out 30-40 thou off the lands and work up to pressure. This is what I did and have never looked back. It's a very hard combo to beat.

Can't find any 215Ms (yet) but put some Berger 215s on order. Got nothing to lose but a few $$ :D

gun)

Yes, yes you can! I hadn't heard of that happening but if that's the case, I'll be upset with myself. :rolleyes: I posted the question for ideas and welcome them all.

Thank you!

I think it'll let me attach some photos now. Maybe it always did but I thought I'd read there was a 10 post minimum before you could attach. None of this is "horrible" except for the fact that, like I said before, I can shoot my .270 into the same hole all day long. That said you all have had some great suggestions. I thank you!

Attachments

• 3and2.jpg
    3and2.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 60
  • 4andflyer.jpg
    4andflyer.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 59
  • 7977-71-725.jpg
    7977-71-725.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 7977-73-745.jpg
    7977-73-745.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 74

Cheers.
gun)
+1... shoot that puppy off bags or a bipe like you might in the field...

sometimes a bit faster than normal powder can help you get accuracy too... 4350 has been mentioned; I'll toss out there Big Game by Ramshot... I've used that powder for sierra 190's in a 300win and it shot very well at a bit over 2700 fps...

You won't be disappointed in the 215's. My 300 WM drives them right at 3000 fps with H1000. Incredibly accurate and devastating on game.

+1... shoot that puppy off bags or a bipe like you might in the field...

Never though of the sled being a hindrance, but yeah - giving that a go this weekend!

sometimes a bit faster than normal powder can help you get accuracy too... 4350 has been mentioned; I'll toss out there Big Game by Ramshot... I've used that powder for sierra 190's in a 300win and it shot very well at a bit over 2700 fps...

I'd thought of trying some IMR4350 or H414 since I have these on hand, so I'll give these a go this weekend too. I also have some MagPro but it seems to work about the same as the others I've tried. Frustrated!

Thanks much!

I think it'll let me attach some photos now. Maybe it always did but I thought I'd read there was a 10 post minimum before you could attach. None of this is "horrible" except for the fact that, like I said before, I can shoot my .270 into the same hole all day long. That said you all have had some great suggestions. I thank you!
Before driving yourself completely crazy try a different scope. 3 of the 4 vortex viper pst's I had would not hold zero and gave me similar, maddening results.

Their customer service was great and they had each of the scopes returned to me in under ten days repaired and working fine but after the 3rd scope with the same problem that was it for me and Vortex.

You won't be disappointed in the 215's. My 300 WM drives them right at 3000 fps with H1000. Incredibly accurate and devastating on game.

Do you know how they perform on lighter skinned game - such as whitetail or hogs - at range? I'd heard they can fail to expand or deliver hydrostatic shock if they don't meet enough resistance. That said, I'd probably not be using the WM for them. Anyway, first things first. Reliable, repeatable accuracy for now....

Thanks!

Before driving yourself completely crazy try a different scope. 3 of the 4 vortex viper pst's I had would not hold zero and gave me similar, maddening results.

Their customer service was great and they had each of the scopes returned to me in under ten days repaired and working fine but after the 3rd scope with the same problem that was it for me and Vortex.

I didn't need to hear that. But, you know, my 270 is somewhat similar, 27" Krieger tube and an older 3.5-10 Leupold Vari-X III. It's been shooting very unfussy single hole 100 yard groups for over a decade with ordinary Hornady hunting bullets. Am hoping it's not the optics since I love the Vipers. I've got 1" rings though so it'd be an easy test to mount it up.

Ugggh!

Thanks much!!

+1 on Beeman's Berger 215 comments. I'm shooting a 300 WM 26" Brux as well. Berger 215s in front of a very stiff dose of H1000. Grouping well under .341 @ 100 yrd and running 3,045 MV with 21 ES and 9.1 SD. Norma Brass
I have Two twin 300 WM only difference is one runs a Brux barrel, other runs a Krieger, Nosler brass for the Krieger just to keep the two separate. The Brux is a strong 100 fps faster than the Krieger same load. That said the Krieger likes the heavy Berger 230 OTM better than the Brux. I'm running the 230 OTM out of the Krieger at near 300 RUM velocities (2,865 MV) Brux digests the Berger 215s like no rifle I've ever owned.

LabRadar if you are wondering. This might be the best tool I've ever owned next to my rifles.
Elevation 5,140'

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.