Fun, cheap hot rods?

in spite of this comment...6mm bra has won 1000 yard nationals...not something that can be said about a 6br..
so much for being stuck in what you do.
what long range nationals did you win with your 22 cal ??
Easier to case form by just shooting the 6BR in the Imp chamber, but I haven't noticed much improvement over the standard 6BR. YMMV

22 Creedmore! Just got back from an Oregon Rat shoot and it smoked everything there! Out does the 22-250. Super easy to get brass! No fireforming like the 22-250AI and cheep to shoot!

Also the Hornady dies with micro seater r working very well. Initially tried Widden but seater was horrible then adapted a Comp RCBS seater and it did well! Initially had to use 6.5 Creedmore bushing die with proper bushing then went to Widden dies but the seater was intolerable.
The Factory 22 Creedmore dies from Hornady have been spot on (I've never used Hornady before). Currently using Starline 6 Creedmore SRP with Rem 71/2 BR primers after some serious problems with Fed 210 and
VV N550 in Hornady 6 Creedmore brass. Just pulled 200 this am after returning from Oregon

Nice to hear that! In the 22 creed, I'm seeing LRP brass by Peterson, I thought ADG as well ( can't remember if that's true) lapua brass and others necked down, turned etc...
Dasher headstamped brass from Norma or form your own... the other cartridges are similar. Started to narrow down to chambers I can have Pac-Nor spin on too. (Large reamer selection, so not really a narrow field) or just go the savage route.

JJ -
Howdy !

Been away from the site for a bit, so am replying later than I had hoped to.

Everybody and their grandmother shoots Dashers, BRs, 'Creeds XC's - 47L's and such.
And I understand there's some really good reasons why.

Another route -

New wildcat chamberings can be had by running an existing reamer in "short".
For example:

A .22-6mm Remington ( " .224 Texas Trophy Hunter " ) can be run-in short for a
nominal .466" base diam. * NO custom chamber reamer to $$$ .

The wildcat uses 7 X 64 Brenneke as the parent brass.
7 X 64 is .308 bolt face compatible rimless. Quality brass is available from Norma, and RWS ( there are others that supply the case in a loaded cartridge ).

The case can be formed using stock 6.5 X55 Swedish FL die w/ its internals removed, as the initial case forming die.

Final steps include use of a stock 6mm Remington die and then a .22-6mm die fro caliber redux to .224" final. *** NO custom forming dies needed for these steps. **

This wildcat has a neck lg of .301", and an easy-to-form 26* shoulder angle; so the powder combustion " turbulence point " remains within the neck.

Sample case I formed has capacity of 50.4gr H20. Cases are very robust, as they are formed from the lower-portion of the 7 X64 brass; so upper case side walls and shoulder area are a tad thicker than what is typically seen in other cases.

After cut-off to final case oal desired, cases are given an inside neck ream and outside neck turn to final caliber desired.
I form and shoot a predecessor 6mm version of this wildcat, which I call " DEEP 6 ".
It has case capacity of 51.2gr H2O, and neck lg of something like .333" ( same as that of 6mm Remington ).

Load / Re-load using stock 6mm Rem dies, equipped w/ .224" cal seater plug and 6mm Rem case holding sleeves (example: Hornady dies ).

With regards,
357Mag

I doubt there are a pile of shoot out 788s anywhere! The most powerful cartridge they came in was a 308, and that is a far cry from a barrel burner, but they were exceptional shooting rifles, one of the fastest lock times ever, and just plain got the job done, the only thing holding them back was the rear lugged bolt, at one time I had collected at least one of every caliper, still have the 257 Roberts and wife still has the 7mm08 carbine, both shoot so good they will never get sold.

Guys, correct me if I'm wrong. The 6mm Remington would require it's own magazine in the 788 due to the shoulder being farther forward, correct? If so I think 243 AI or one of the Creedmoor based cases may be the ticket unless you want to hunt down some pricey magazines.

I think an fast twist 788 shooting @RockyMtnMT 's 88 grainers out of an AI would make for one helluva cool old 400 yard deer poker.

KIMG0767.JPG

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.