front rests models, price and opinions

carverelli

I'm currently using a *** Hoppes front rest w/ a small protector leather bag. My current project is a Rem 700 6-284 w/ a 29" Lilja barrel. The stock is factory HS Precision that came w/ the original 220 swift VSSF Varmint model. I would like to think that one of those nicer front rests like Hart, Sinclair, or Bald Eagle etc. would tighten up my groups. My gun is as heavy as a could make it. It has a long 29"x1 1/4 straight barrel and a muzzle brake. The las time I did load testing, I was experimenting w/ letting the rifle recoil w/u me touching it too much and then I'd lay a couple of my fingers on the chamber top as I squezed the trigger w/ my shoulder just touching the stockbutt. I've never shot competition, but I can imagine better groups come with consistently same contact w/ the rifle. What are your thoughts on rifle rests( I'd like one w/ a windage adjustment) and some different ways to shoot itty bitty groups. My trigger is a rifle basix ret at 14oz.

cav,
Don't think the Hoppes rest is a problem (if its the orange three legged thing). Been using one for lotsa years, in competition and load development. Plenty of good groups.

Do a search on Ric Horst and see his feelings on front rests. It'll frost ya.

Here's a suggestion. A) you want the forearm to slide, not grab, the front rest. B) with the trigger hand "tend" to pull the stock into your shoulder (Be cautions of elbow position and pulling straight. C)don't touch the rifle with the other hand. Use the other hand to squeeze/adjust the rear sand bag.

If you follow Ric's counsel/cil??? if you shoot at things w/the 6x284 you'll end up with a bipod and bean bag. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Maybe even off of the bench /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Take a look at the new caldwell rest. The base are the same as a bald eagle. It works excellent and they can be had between 130 and $150. You have to use the regular front bags, because the one they supply sucks. Also take the bubble off the front. For the money they are very very hard to beat. Hope this helps

Carverelli...the Caldwell models are good & light for portablility in the field, but no comparison on the bench to the heavier models you mentioned...with such a heavy barrel & hot caliber, you owe it to yourself to use a heavy rest for better tracking & grouping "potential"; for "small group" technique, spend some time at www.benchrest.com

...hope this helps, good shooting to you... Larry

I'm not talking about the caldwell rock. I'm talking about the B.R series. I have the larger one I think BR 50 and it weighs around 15 pounds. My friends have Bald Eagle Rests and they are nearly identical. after using my new cladwell I will say it is a bargain for the money spent. Thanks Reed

Like i said it does need a few mods. Take the bubble level off a buy a good codura bag. Good luck and good shooting

Thanks guys, it seems like I've seen a Caldwell rest somewhere before, but can't remember where. It wasn't the br 1000 though. The specs says it weighs around 17 lbs. and has a windage feature.I'm sure its a little "rough" but then again my wife says I am too. Might be a good match. Ebay has a new one for around $150.

I second Reed's suggestion, have the same rest and it is solid and well built. Might not be quite as slick as the higher dollar BR brands but it is an excellent rest. I found a nylon gym-bag with a hard bottom that it just fits into, keeps it clean and easy to tote to the range.

just bought it on ebay. To my door was 185 and change. Thanks for you help. Saw a Ransom rest in my Brownells catalog for 800-way too rich for my blood.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.