Front and rear rests:

When I'm on the bench which is very very infrequently I use a simple, light and inexpensive orange Hoppe's. I made holes in the bench top to match the foot screws and set it with one of the 3 legs straight back.

I've had this thing for decades and won plenty of BR matches using it.

The secret is a proper bag on the pedestal for the shape of the forearm. Flat for flat and round for round. No side play. The rifle should slide freely. Very freely.

Keep the nearest sling stud at least an inch and a half, or better, from the rest. Behind the second stud works for me.

I use an eared rear bag with plenty of squeezeabiity for various elevation considerations.

However, a more solid rear bag is better. The more squeeshi the rear bag the more fliers can be expected, at least for me.

As I do all of my shooting prone I'm working on an adjustable, packable rear rest that is showing some promise.

Hope this helps….

Also had a visitor this morning.

Attachments

• IMG_0683.jpg
    IMG_0683.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 25
I've got a Hoppe's and never have felt all that good about it. Followed up looking at a change of bag for the front, it seems this old standby has been discontinued.

I've got good Bipod set ups, not every day I feel like getting up from ground level.

I hope that visitor doesn't work up a fondness for that jack!

Thanks

I built my own front rest, but there are many good ones out there. Bald Eagle is a very good one as well as Hart. Sinclair sells them off and on. You want one that uses the common thread size for the post. I didn't, and have regretted this for as long as I've used my own. The windage plate is critical, and Sinclair sells several different models. Then there are several options to aid your shooting position. Once again I used the wrong thread size here as well.

When shopping for a front rest, check the lock up very closely. If you can still move the threaded post, then avoid it. Some guys used the front rest without it be clamped tight. Or others clamp it after sighting in the target. If there's movement you won't hit much of anything. I clamp mine lightly, and can actually raise or lower it. On the otherone I still use, you can't raise or lower it with anykind of clamping pressure due to the thread fit (extremely tight)

If you have access to a lathe, you can build one fairly easily. The hardest part if drilling and tapping for the legs. I've built at least a half dozen for myself, and maybe twelve altogether. Some were very crude, and others too high tech. It's a learning process.
gary

I recommend the SEB coaxial rests with a heavy Edgewood rear bag. The SEB rests are sold by Ernie Bishop who I believe is a sponsor on this site. They are great rests but pricey. I used one of the Caldwell coaxial rests for a while and it broke during an F class match, replaced it with another and it broke. Have never regretted getting the SEB.

The NEO replaced the original SEB Rest with a number of improvements.
There is about a 11-13 month wait, once one gets on the waiting list.
No deposit to get on the list.
I also stock front and rear bags.

Folks at the range sometimes ask why there is a plain cloth shop rag wrapped around the bag on my Caldwell Rock Jr front rest. The rifle slides very smoothly on cloth, but not so much on leather. I always set up with the scope objective even with the bag for consistent support and clearance on the sling studs. With brakes, my rifles only recoil about half an inch, so the stud never catches. I always keep the rear bag ahead of the stud in the toe of the stock for the same reason.

I'm not competing, but won't rule it out. I have been contemplating a purely bench rest rifle, and see where it goes.

Have you used the Farley? Which model? I've got as far as their site, probably contact them for more details in the coming week.

I'm not competing, but won't rule it out. I have been contemplating a purely bench rest rifle, and see where it goes.

Have you used the Farley? Which model? I've got as far as their site, probably contact them for more details in the coming week.

Yes, I have one and shoot IBS matches, mostly short range score, group some 600 yd so it really works well. As far as model don't know of anything but improvements versions over the yrs.

You're killing me! Fantastic looking set up. My unsuccessful Wyoming tag money just came, and is burning a hole in the desk.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts