From a Precision Rifle Review - S&B

royinidaho

The writer/shooter said this:

"So what? You might be asking. I can buy a Nightforce or Leupold offering this kind of power and with top-notch optics, so why get excited about the Schmidt? When was the last time you twiddled the scope-turrets the wrong way or lost count of your clicks? I've been around long enough to know better but I did it only a month ago, at that F Class League shoot at Bisley of all places. I needed to come-up 75 MOA on my Leupold Mk 4 and through some mental aberration, I turned the turret three times instead of five! Fortunately, someone noticed my fall of shot - ploughing up the grass!
If I had been using a Schmidt, I couldn't have made that mistake." (my bold)

What's the secret here? This feature would go a long way in helping to over come my resistance to "clicking".

I haven't compaired head to head with my S&B against a Nightforce but it totaly smokes the Leupold mark4's as far as clairity and brightness. and the two revolutions to get all your vertical is pretty nice even though this one hardly ever get shot past 200yds.
But when lives are on the line its nice to know that you8 have the very best in the world

Roy,

The 'secret' is the (what I consider to be) bizarre vernier scale setup on Leupold and Nightforce scopes where you're never really sure what's set without staring hard at the vernier(I can think of few less user friendly turret marking systems).....versus S&B's 1 turn or 2 turn turrets

...case in point; yesterday a friend offered me a couple of shots with his Nightforce equipped rifle. He cranked on the 39 clicks appropriate to the range we were firing at.....my first 2 rounds hit the sand about a foot above the target board......(he'd already put the elevation on, but forgotten, and then added the same correction again) ...point was that there was nothing obvious about the vernier to point the error out to him.

S&B scopes either only do 1 turn, so you can't biff it, or have a clear visual marker that you are now on the 2nd turn, so you can only biff it if you ignore a bunch of bright yellow markers on the turret.....much easier for my simple mind /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.