found a good deal on a 7.82 warbird thinking about it any experience?

Huntertom775

I found a m955 action stainless steel 7.82 warbird with a leupold 6.5-20 long range scope on it for a little less than 1000$ looks like ammo brass and dies will be EXPENSIVE, anybody have any experience with one of these things? Curious if it is worth the deep dive and $$$

I found a m955 action stainless steel 7.82 warbird with a leupold 6.5-20 long range scope on it for a little less than 1000$ looks like ammo brass and dies will be EXPENSIVE, anybody have any experience with one of these things? Curious if it is worth the deep dive and $$$
I love the sound of that! I would say for chamberings like this id want to borescope first and see how cooked it is (don't take long)…but in your case that might not even matter. The scope and the action alone are a decent deal at that price….

Do it!

The M995 is an excellent scope. Even if the barrel is shut, the action and the scope might be worth it, esp. when the stock is in good shape or aftermarket. The only thing is that there is very little aftermarket support for the M995.

I have been shooting one for about 10 years now. Suppressed it a couple years ago which made a world of difference in how nice the rifle shoots and helped some with accuracy. Shooting 185g Berger VLD hunting at 3400 mv, groups at .4 moa. It is by far the most accurate rifle I own. The only drawback to this rifle is the stock is hot garbage. I have heard rumors of them breaking from recoil alone, not sure if that is true but even tupperware wouldn't put their name on these things. Macmillan used to inlet their hunter stock, which is what I purchased for mine. No bedding required on my rifle, but the actions are very torque sensitive so need to use a torque wrench when tightening down the action screws. However i heard Macmillan is no longer inletting for these but have not personally checked. Typically I keep my eye out on here and GB for used brass as new is very expensive. If you want to run the Warbird at high speed, prepare to loosen primer pockets on the brass and deal with it as you see fit. Warne used to make a very nice set of rings for the weird tapered dove tail mount that is on the receiver. I have a set on mine and it holds my scope (viper pst 6-24x50) securely. I paid 1200 bare rifle for mine, if you can get this gun for 1k I would do it. I dont think you would be disappointed, and as others have noted if the Lazz round ends up not being your cup of tea, this action was also barreled in .338 Lapua so you have other options for rechamber or rebarrel. Another thing to note, the trigger on these rifles is IMO very nice for a factory trigger. I have mine set at a very light pull weight and it is crisp and still passes all the safety checks.

Attachments

• warbird.jpg
    warbird.jpg
    753.5 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Oh yea, their great for kids to shoot bucks with too. This is a forky my daugher killed in 2016 at 326 yds when she was 12. Before I cerakoted the action and suppressed the rifle.

Attachments

• DSC01113.JPG
    DSC01113.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 92
The M995 is an excellent scope.
?????;)

I shot the Warbird for a couple of years since it was the big dog on the block when first released. It was certainly fun to shoot especially on the desert where I could stretch its legs. But all things change and we were able to get better cartridges, powder and bullets soon after this cartridge.

It was the action which was the desirable component in the first place. Even when buying a complete rifle, it was still economical to buy the rifle and strip off the receiver to use for a Lapua build since Lapua builds were few and far between.

In your situation as you've described, the barrel will be questionable no matter what the seller uses as a description. Most don't have the vaguest idea of what you might be asking about as far as the quality of the internal finish is concerned. But, given that you will be stuck with buying brass, powder, bullets and dies just to make sure the original can shoot up to your expectations, I would assume (?) it will be nearly finished or finished.

The scope is no longer available and was second tier quality-wise anyway. It's still usable just not up to the quality we find nowadays.

Personally, I would buy the rifle with the expectations of removing the action to use for a build better suited to your needs and budget. Most Lapua-size actions are $1,000 or more anyway so you're winning to a small extent. You still have the stock and bottom metal to consider for use also.

Enjoy!

:)

Last edited:
?????;)

I shot the Warbird for a couple of years since it was the big dog on the block when first released. It was certainly fun to shoot especially on the desert where I could stretch its legs. But all things change and we were able to get better cartridges, powder and bullets soon after this cartridge.

It was the action which was the desirable component in the first place. Even when buying a complete rifle, it was still economical to buy the rifle and strip off the receiver to use for a Lapua build since Lapua builds were few and far between.

In your situation as you've described, the barrel will be questionable no matter what the seller uses as a description. Most don't have the vaguest idea of what you might be asking about as far as the quality of the internal finish is concerned. But, given that you will be stuck with buying brass, powder, bullets and dies just to make sure the original can shoot up to your expectations, I would assume (?) it will be nearly finished of finished.

The scope is no longer available and was second tier quality-wise anyway. It's still usable just not up to the quality we find nowadays.

Personally, I would buy the rifle with the expectations of removing the action to use for a build better suited to your needs and budget. Most Lapua-size actions are $1,000 or more anyway so you're winning to a small extent. You still have the stock and bottom metal to consider for use also.

Enjoy!

:)
LOL, should have been action.

?????;)

Care to elaborate on what commercial .30 cal has been released that is better? Powder and bullets are a moot point since they can also be used in the Warbird.

Care to elaborate on what commercial .30 cal has been released that is better? Powder and bullets are a moot point since they can also be used in the Warbird.
I guess it would depend on what is meant by better. But proprietary brass would be a big turn off in and of itself.

For more power and better brass the only way to outdo the warbird would be a .30xc (which I want someday). But those need a whole different action if you want a repeater.

I agree with the above statements. I still own mine in the original chambering. You can push it hard and get great velocity, but primer pockets get loose quickly. Brass is expensive...The twist in the barrel is slow, so no heavies. I am debating between rebarreling to a different caliber or stay with the warbird and put more twist to stabilize the heavies...I have the dies and some good brass, but they only last so long...