Foster Co-Ax press

luizinga

Can any body give me an opinion of this Foster Co-Ax press! I am planning on buying this press under the assumption that is like a Bentley of presses!

Over the last 45 years of reloading, I've used about all the main presses. RCBS, Lyman, Hornady and Dillon. Of the single stage presses, the Forster is without a doubt the best. I've even grown to enjoy using it more than the Dillon. Since I've gotten older, I've lost the "need for speed". Buy the Co-Ax and you'll never need another press. They really are that good.

Is there any reason to keep my Rock Chucker if I Buy a forester? I too have been thinking about one

They are the best press I have ever used. I went ahead and got some of the upgrades and they are worth getting if you get one of these presses even though it can be an extra 100-$200. This press was well thought out and runs smoothly. Along with the best priming and shell holder system that allows these process to work quickly and still be very precise. I can not run my 338 edge or Chey tac cases on this press, I'm not sure what the max case length is but most likely it will fit most magnums.

There a couple things the O frame or C frame actually does easier than the Co-Ax. I've always felt pulling bullets was easier. I do some serious case form, that involves cutting cases back considerable amounts. Much easier with the others types. Yet case forming is much easier and better the Co-Ax. Also the press is limited to about 3.62" over all length for seating bullets. (I have done a little longer, but it's a pain). I've loaded 45acp, and that's as short as I like to do on any press. I find it just as bad on the RCBS setting next it.
gary

There a couple things the O frame or C frame actually does easier than the Co-Ax. I've always felt pulling bullets was easier. I do some serious case form, that involves cutting cases back considerable amounts. Much easier with the others types. Yet case forming is much easier and better the Co-Ax. Also the press is limited to about 3.62" over all length for seating bullets. (I have done a little longer, but it's a pain). I've loaded 45acp, and that's as short as I like to do on any press. I find it just as bad on the RCBS setting next it.
gary

Probably a good point. I only load 7mm08, 308 and 25-06 on mine. If you're going from one extreme or the other size-wise, it may be better on one of the O or C style presses.

The only thing to remember with them is that if you have non-Forster dies, you need different lock rings. Other than that, they are awesome

Is there any reason to keep my Rock Chucker if I Buy a forester? I too have been thinking about one

I have the CO-AX, RockChucker and a Lock n Load single stage. I like them in that particular order. The CO-AX is definitely has the best on board priming system, and I personally like the shell holder system. If all I had was the Rock Chucker, I wouldn't feel handicapped. The Lock n load on the otherhand, I feel I could crush with the Rock Chucker. They both look the same, but the Rock Chucker is much more robust.... I use my CO-AX for all of my standard and magnum case head cartridges, and the Rock Chucker for my .223 and some pistol. The Lock n load is just for priming .223 and pocket swaging...

I have a Co-Ax and a Rockchucker. I use the Rockchucker only for pulling bullets (or anything else) and using the Wilson Collet die. The Co-Ax does everything else.

You can use Forster lock rings, and they do work better, but others will work too.

I have a co-ax, rockchucker I hardly ever use, a partner that I decap with and a Harrell combo press as my portable press.

co-ax is great. only problem I have ever had is loosing the springs in the shellholder when changing from small to large. With practice I have gotten much better with the change. Love the primer catcher. Keeps things clean. never have a problem with runout with a co-ax.

Love that Harrell press too. I am using a lot more Wilson bullet seaters. Not that I have problems with my forster micrometer dies. Just I load at the range now and I really like the feel of the arbor press seating bullets.

Reloading is just a lot of fun to me. Making perfect ammo is as much fun as shooting it.

I have the CO-AX, RockChucker and a Lock n Load single stage. I like them in that particular order. The CO-AX is definitely has the best on board priming system, and I personally like the shell holder system. If all I had was the Rock Chucker, I wouldn't feel handicapped. The Lock n load on the otherhand, I feel I could crush with the Rock Chucker. They both look the same, but the Rock Chucker is much more robust.... I use my CO-AX for all of my standard and magnum case head cartridges, and the Rock Chucker for my .223 and some pistol. The Lock n load is just for priming .223 and pocket swaging...

When one looks at the Co-Ax, it really doesn't look all that big. Power wise it is in spades because it's a true toggle instead of working off a single fulcrum point. In otherwords it multiplies power as the ram moves. Just a different concept. The first time I used it, I was doing 41 mag brass, and literally crushed the brass like an accordion. Ruined the die stem, and had to remove the case the hard way. Reason I say this, is that one must keep this in mind. I can full length size military .308 brass with two fingers. Yet you can feel everything happening once you learn the system. Once your setup, it's simply a pull on the handle that you often take for granted. The press's real plus is the feel you get seating bullets. I actually can tell if I did a good job on my case prep verses just getting by. Still it doesn't have that wonderful feel you get with the K&M arbor press. Still the real plus with the Co-Ax is when doing long strait walled cases like the .444 or 45-70. Power seems constant and the same all thru the travel (I know it isn't).

I've rebuilt three or four O frame presses for friends I was deeply indebted to. Three different brand names, but all three had the same disease. The bore was worn oval shaped, and there was quite a bit of wear else ware. Biggest case any of these presses did was a 30-06 in three of them. The other did a lot of .444 and up. Yet I bought my Co-Ax in 1978 right after a visit to the NRA Convention. Just as tight this afternoon as it was right out of the box.
gary

I have two co-ax presses in the reloading room, and two RCBS partner presses that are mobile to the vehicle or my desk.

I have a lot of other presses collecting dust.

my co-ax is my go to press.

use the partner for depriming. It is mounted to the picnic table in the back yard. I deprime that brass as soon as I get back from the range. It is a habit. then it goes straight into the ultrasonic.

my Harrell combo I bought for the range is becoming a favorite too. It is a threaded press on one side and an arbor press on the other. Haven't used the Wilson dies in years but having this little press has brought them into my life again. Great bullet seaters.

386_image.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.