Forming 22-250AI from 22CM brass

I can not run Lapua or Norma brass with some of my reamers that are SAAMI spec, especially the 22/250, AI, 243, AI, 30/06, and 22/243 AI.

Measuring the web with a micrometer to the .0001 reveals dramatic differences between Winchester and Lapua brass in the web.

With my 6 XC I got lucky. I form brass from 308 Palma, use Whidden dies, no problems.

Wait I didn't see this post earlier. Are there 2 versions of 6XC Alpha brass?
Mike, I used Alpha Creedmoor brass to form to XC.
The 6XC as designed by David Tubb is based off the 250 savage case and is a sanctioned cartridge by CIP in Europe and loaded by Norma commercially.
The 6XC and the 6XCII are considered wildcats in the US to my knowledge and XCII is base on the 308 head size.
I use Peterson brass in my 6XC and 22XC since it is based on Tubbs original specs (250 Sav).
If you were to chamber for 6XCII, you would be able to use the CM brass. I recall seeing dies for the XCII and may even have a set. Cant remember who made them though. I'll try to find them. They are still in boxes from the move.

Last edited:
Mike, I'll add here that I looked at making a 22-250AI but after talking to the Urbanrifleman on Accuratshooter.com, I went with the 22XC for several reasons. He made the barrel for me and its a shooter.

Success!

One pass through the 22-250AI Redding body die and fire form to the chamber.

22CM on left, Lapua 22-250AI on right. The 22CM was fired with a reduced load so probably not fully formed. Will ramp up the charge and see where it tops out with an 88 ELDM and 90ATip. My Lapua 22-250AI brass runs comfortably at 3360 from a 25" barrel and RL26.

IMG_1629.jpeg

Lapua 22-250 brass has slightly higher capacity.

IMG_1627.jpeg

IMG_1628.jpeg