Can i make 22-250ai directly from 308 win?

Just ken

308 Win dimensions match 22-250AI EXCEPT shoulder needs to be set back 0.035" and converted to 40 deg. Any chance a 308 brass will run through a 22-250AI body die then neck size?

308 Win dimensions match 22-250AI EXCEPT shoulder needs to be set back 0.035" and converted to 40 deg. Any chance a 308 brass will run through a 22-250AI body die then neck size?
Where are you getting the dimensions you are comparing? Are you comparing the size of a reamer you have to the size of brass you have?

the answer is no. the base dia. of the cases are different it would take a custom reamer.
just buy 22-250 brass and fireform or use the COW method or better yet get a hydroforming die

the answer is no. the base dia. of the cases are different it would take a custom reamer.
just buy 22-250 brass and fireform or use the COW method or better yet get a hydroforming die

I would recommend just fire forming. I ordered a hydro die from Whidden back on 10/8, still haven't received it. They said they had some issues with 22 cal dies, it should be either out getting hardened finally or back at whidden awaiting final inspection.

I use a stiff load of RL15 and a 69 SMK against the lands with new neck turned Sig brass, cases come out perfect and the fire forming load shoots about 2 inches at 300 yards.

I think if you truly want to try it I would start with 243 brass. Neck out down 22 cal then spin the necks to an even 0.014-0.015" neck thickness. After that, try a Redding body die to push the shoulders back and it may take your case taper out also. Never know until you try. The one downside of going AI is you do lose a bit of over all case length, so you lose a bit of neck. Might be an acceptable way to get a longer neck.

Like said above it wouldn't work and would be an exercise in frustration.

I used Lapua brass and a just below max load of w760 with a 69 grain SMK stuffed .005" into the lands.

It shot great in fire forming out to 300 yards which is all I had were I was shooting at the time. Here's a 25 shot group including some fouling rounds following cleaning.
25 shot group.jpg
Fire forming.jpg

Like said above it wouldn't work and would be an exercise in frustration.

I used Lapua brass and a just below max load of w760 with a 69 grain SMK stuffed .005" into the lands.

It shot great in fire forming out to 300 yards which is all I had were I was shooting at the time. Here's a 25 shot group including some fouling rounds following cleaning.
View attachment 124567 View attachment 124568
That's exactly what I found. Almost boring-ly accurate fire forming. I moved all my fire forming to 300 yards just to work on wind calls a bit.

I would recommend just fire forming. I ordered a hydro die from Whidden back on 10/8, still haven't received it. They said they had some issues with 22 cal dies, it should be either out getting hardened finally or back at whidden awaiting final inspection.

I use a stiff load of RL15 and a 69 SMK against the lands with new neck turned Sig brass, cases come out perfect and the fire forming load shoots about 2 inches at 300 yards.

I think if you truly want to try it I would start with 243 brass. Neck out down 22 cal then spin the necks to an even 0.014-0.015" neck thickness. After that, try a Redding body die to push the shoulders back and it may take your case taper out also. Never know until you try. The one downside of going AI is you do lose a bit of over all case length, so you lose a bit of neck. Might be an acceptable way to get a longer neck.
This can be easily corrected if you add an extra 0.020" to your trim length before they fire-form. Then you have AI brass trimmed to the correct length. I still recommend checking them afterwards, as some chambers are different, and might be a bit long or short, so you might want to re-trim them all to an equal length.

I use factory or reloaded ammo & shoot it. It fireforms with no problem. The 22-250 ammo is about as accurate as the fireformed reloads

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.