Can you make 300RSUM brass from 300WSM brass ???

James Jones

I need to do some loading for a 300RSUM and the guy wants to use the best of everything so I was wondering if it would be possible to make some brass from the 300WSM brass as it is just a few thousandths larger than the RSUM. I was wanting to use the Norma brass for the 300WSM.
The gun is a custom built by Sisk guns so I'm guessing that it will be able to tell the differance accuracy wise and I realy don't want to go through the hassel for doing all the case prep on the Remington brass

I don't think so. I don't have the exact measurements on hand, but just eyeing up the two, the shoulder on the WSM is substantially farther out than the RSUM. The difference is a little more troublesome than just a few thousandths. I can't see how you would get around this problem, unless you cut, then went through a multi-step forming process. I would just use remi-spec brass, and be done with it.

J.D.J.
In the 1980's Remington brought out the XP100 pistol chambered for a 7MM B.R. The 7BR was the fore runner of the very popular 6BR that is in use today. O.A.L. of the 7br case was 1.520. No factory brass was available for several years. We made the cases from a .308 case with a small rifle primer pocket. Cases were head stamped BR REM. The point is if a 1.520 case can be made from a .308 case, admittedly a very tough case sizing job, a case could be resized to the same size neck and shortened .085 . this is the amount I see as the difference in o.a.l. You might have to anneal the necks, but I would try a couple without it. If you try this use a good case lube and don't use too little or you will have a tough time getting the stuck case out. Somewhere on this site Kirby has an essay on making one of his .257 Allen Magnum cases from I believe a .338 RUM case, several steps involved in this one. I don't know how to search the archives but I'll bet you can find it .
good luck
Joe

well if its not as simple as just running the WSM case into the RSUM then I'm not gonna waste my time , I guess its gonna have to be the Rem crap and just sort the cases

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts