forester neck turner

asa

does anyone have any opinions onthis tool, or is there a better tool out there. I have checked case neck thickness and was suprised at the difference in thickness, both nosler and remington

Hey asa

I use the Forster hand held turner. It is one of 2 that I have experience with, the other is the K & M hand held turner. The Forster is simpler, cheaper and has a wider blade
DSCN0493.jpg

DSCN0494.jpg

DSCN0592.jpg

The K & M has more bells and whistles like a pilot depth adjuster, a dial gauge and a cutting mandrel. However it is more expensive, especially with all the attachements, and the cutting blade is not as wide.

Recently I discovered that the Forster reamers will also fit in the hand turner
DSCN0726.jpg

and this will allow you to ream the inside at the same time as you turn the outside
DSCN0707.jpg

This will get rid of do-nuts but you have to set your brass up by turning the outside on new cases to allow .003" to .004" neck clearance. Then when you once fire the case the inside diameter will be .003" to .004". Later when the do-nuts develop you can ream the inside to get rid of the do-nuts and lightly clean up the outside at the same time.
DSCN0716.jpg

neck turner

hey thanks for thr replys , I was looking at the hand held neck trimmer

Okay. I have a Forster HOT 100 and have no complaint. Don't really like the plastic case holder device but that's a personal thing, it works well enough.

It is best to limit cuts to maybe 4 thousanths on a single pass with any such turner. Neck fit should be really snug on the manderal but not tight. Use a case lube on the mandrel when turning. Don't cut into the shoulder, the Forster has a nice bevel on the carbide cutter to reduce the likelyhood of damaging the shoulder junction.

old thread warning.

I still use my vintage Lyman that fits on the case trimmer.

The Lyman attachment is now discontinued. A sign that newer & better are available, i guess? At age 75, to late in the day to upgrade now.

20200307_111804.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.