Favorite neck turner

I believe the confusion is on why the OP shouldn't simply buy the 270 Turner kit to start with. Why buy a 30 cal and then need to buy mandrels for 270.

If you buy the 30 cal neck tuner all you have to do is change mandrels. OP is going to turn neck for 270. Mandrel part that fit neck turner/expander die is same size as 30 cal and be same size if you turner necks for 6mm. If you looked at those mandrel you see top is larger in Dia. If you have K&M you buy one neck turner and different mandrels for the expander/turner

Got it. Thanks for the explanation.

Anyone here use the hornady neck turner? Seems reasonably priced and looks like it would work well?

Yep, I really like mine. The large mass of the tool/mandrel holder keeps the heat dissipated so my cuts stay consistent .
Very fast operation! I measure each piece with ball and envil micrometer after turning and it is right on.
Buy two cordless screw drivers because you will work faster than the screwdriver holds its charge:D.
BTW. no matter which one you get buy Tap-magic cutting fluid , THE best for neck turning!

BTW, no matter which one you get buy Tap-magic cutting fluid , THE best for neck turning!

Which of the 5 Tap Magic Cutting Fluids are you using? I went to their web site and see 5 or more different flavors of cutting fluid...

Last edited:
20171117_185037.jpg
20171117_185037.jpg
I really didn't know there was other kinds.

Thanks. Yeah, they sell a number of cutting fluids. Now I know of one that works well. If it helps keep the necks cooler during cutting, that should mean less heat expansion and tighter tolerances from case neck to case neck.

I have used Hornady Unique wax on the mandrels to keep thing cool, but no cutting fluid on the exterior of the case necks. Might get some of your Tap Magic and try it out.

Curious what you lube the mandrels with to reduce friction while the cases are rotating? I purchased some lubricating oil that has some anti-friction surface bonding additive in it. I know that sounds like voodoo, but it seems to excel in friction reduction. Don't recall the brand name of the product. I intend to test it as lube on my mandrels the next time I outside neck turn though, because it's the slickest oil I've ever used.

I use tap magic on the mandrel and the OD of the neck. The nipple on the bottle lets you put just the right amount right where you want it.
I've used everything from Imperial case lube to Mobil 1 fully synthetic ( even some silly things out of frustration ...)

Just got home and checked my voodoo lubricating oil.

I purchased it from LUBRI-KIT.com

They sell an oil and a grease product. I purchased both and use them both.

Apply it to bolt lugs, bolts, AR-15 carrier, etc.

Not so good.
I have about a half gallon of Kroil. I wish it did as good as tap magic I'd be set for life:).

Thanks for all the great replies.
All the talk about cutting oils makes me curious if anyone gas tried a good synthetic 2 stroke oil?

Kris

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts