For the Idaho Visitors

Dave in Idaho

I really hope you guys had a good time and I wanted you to know that I appreciated the free sharing of information about the specifics of the ultra long range game.
Your skills and toys are far beyond my capabilities. I am humbled in your presence.
I was only in a little trouble with my wife when I got home and I bragged to the guys at the PD about your shooting.
I hope to start plans to build my own MOAG soon. It will be slightly different than yours. I think I'll go with a Remington mtn rifle style(only lighter). But do to the larger case I will put a 26" barrel on it. Should be a great brush gun for deer or calling gun for coyotes!
Again, I thank you for the knowledge I gained.
Dave in Idaho

By the way:
I still can't figure out how you guys could factor in the whole "curvature of the earth" thing to get those shots where you wanted! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dave,
It was a pleasure shooting with you and the boys this weekend in secretville, Id. I just wish we would have had two days of perfect weather insead of one but beggars can't be choosers.

We'll hope for more good weather next trip. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I agree with Dave. I had such a great time I TOTALLY forgot to let Goodgrouper clean my rifle. I hope he isn't dissapointed. Maybe I'll let him do it next time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I really did have fun and I appreciate you guys letting me burn up some of your ammo. I know you all put loads of time into each and every round you use. Your wilingness to share your info and the use of your gear with almost total strangers was first class comaraderie.

Sorry things didn't pan out the second day but thats the weather for ya'. Never the less, ANYTIME you guys want to get together here in secretville and shoot, count me in. Oh, and next time I will have a lensatic cumpass for documenting and locating the LR hits for pictures at the end of the day.

Definately a great time and perfect weather on Saturday. It was great to shoot with some of the guys fom LRH who were making some SPECTACULAR shots - especially shooting the rock out from under the chuck at 2300 yards - he sure went flying!
When 4ked and I went back on Sunday to see the carnage in the daylight it was fantastic. It gave us a new perspective on how far we were shooting, and a higher appreciation for how far you guys were shooting - I think it looked farther from where the chucks were at compared with the site that we shot from.
It would have been really cool if we could have found my chuck that I hit at 750 yards.

Big Thanks to Goodgrouper, Brian B, 7mmrhb, and Dave for the invite to go shoot with you.
We will have to do it again!

Alan

Dave in Idaho,
I appreciate shootin' the Bull with you more than shootin' chucks,we will have to do it again soon. 4ked Horn and Gonehuntingagain (and the friend you brought from Twin Falls) are top notch,lets do it again when the weather will give us two days instead of one.
B
p.s.if your wife is still mad blame it on me everyone else does.

The friend Gone and I brought from Twin IS Dave in Idaho.

I didn't know that the gentleman with the thermal imaging thingy was Idaho Preacher.

4ked Horn,
thanks for corecting me I got my daves mixed up (there were three daves and I had only met one of them before this weekend) just as a good side story I spent most of my time on saturday trying to shoot a chuck at 2300yds with the MOAG and did not succeed, the ONLY chuck I shot all weekend was with Dave in Idaho's 6.5 Gibbs 1 shot 1 kill (Thanks Dave) very humbling to not shoot any thing with your own gun and have Dave set you up for a 1 shot 1 kill,Daves wife owns a 250Ackley (love the oddball stuff that is good)
THANKS AGAIN B

[ QUOTE ]
the ONLY chuck I shot all weekend was with Dave in Idaho's 6.5 Gibbs 1 shot 1 kill

[/ QUOTE ]

You may have only hit one chuck, but I know you scared the crap out of a few with the 222 and the MOAG!

brian b,
Regardless of hitting one with my rifle. I still think that you killing one at just short of 500yds is like shooting a sow behind the ear with a .22LR in the feed barn compared to throwing dirt on one at 2300!!!!
At least you didn't get skunked!
Dave

Moag addict I have needed a weekend like that for some time. I been reading again and my question is how come when we shot the moag we never used free recoil when we shot. I been reading about the 6mm br impoved and some of the benchrest addict used this technic.

When you free recoil the Moag, it has a tendency to move the pedestals rearward too much. A light squeeze works best.
Most benchresters use the free recoil technique, but not all of them. I even use a slight resistance when shooting the 6 Dasher or the .223! These cartridges kick so lightly that they give you the option of no grip, but everyone shoots a little differently. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

what brand of rear tripod on moag was you using and also where did you get bs dial brian b explain it to me and i couldn't believe the difference.

[ QUOTE ]
When you free recoil the Moag, it has a tendency to move the pedestals rearward too much. A light squeeze works best.
Most benchresters use the free recoil technique, but not all of them. I even use a slight resistance when shooting the 6 Dasher or the .223! These cartridges kick so lightly that they give you the option of no grip, but everyone shoots a little differently. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Shoot-en off the bags ol hoss is like women, some like to be held and some don't. That why you got to try both methods. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Guys, I was not one of the Idaho Visitors and I hope is ok with you all for me to write this:
I have always told my wife that God has been good to me because I never get envious at anything, and that has to be a gift of God. I do have to admit that reading these posts has been very close to… OK! I'm a little envious.
You all sound like a bunch of good people. Thanks for sharing.
Javier

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.