For the ccw crowd.... g19 vs g45

Creedmoor shooter

Not sure if this is the right sub forum, but I wanted to get peoples opinion on the gen 5 glock 19 vs the glock 45. This will be for ccw purposes. The glock 19 should be a no brainer except I really dislike the magazine cutout on the front of the 19. The 45 does not have that. The 45 however has a 1/2in longer grip. I'm 5'9 and weigh 180 lbs and I'm concerned about the 45 imprinting on my form due to the longer grip. Anyone have any experience with the 2?

I carry both my issued full size glock model 22 and my personal cc model 27, the 27 is significantly smaller but I have a pierce +1 on it so it is similar in grip length to the 19, so it is a somewhat similar comparison other than barrel length on the 22. I can carry my 22 when I'm just wearing a tee shirt if I'm very careful about how I carry myself, how I reach my hands, and things like that. Overall I don't like to carry it unless I'm wearing a hoodie, coat, vest, or a long outter button up shirt. I use a pretty high rise OWB holster, and can keep it concealed well in garments like that. I'm 5'11" and 230. My 27, I can conceal that in anything, just a tee shirt is fine.

The difference is enough that I have to dress appropriately to feel I am concealing the model 22 good enough, and if I have the 22 and just a tee shirt, my wife says she can notice printing. If you dress like this often it is a consideration, but if you always have some kind of larger garment on, your gtg.

Not sure what your talking about with the mag cutout, is it on the mag or frame? And have you looked at the model 19x to see if it doesn't have that?

I carry both my issued full size glock model 22 and my personal cc model 27, the 27 is significantly smaller but I have a pierce +1 on it so it is similar in grip length to the 19, so it is a somewhat similar comparison other than barrel length on the 22. I can carry my 22 when I'm just wearing a tee shirt if I'm very careful about how I carry myself, how I reach my hands, and things like that. Overall I don't like to carry it unless I'm wearing a hoodie, coat, vest, or a long outter button up shirt. I use a pretty high rise OWB holster, and can keep it concealed well in garments like that. I'm 5'11" and 230. My 27, I can conceal that in anything, just a tee shirt is fine.

The difference is enough that I have to dress appropriately to feel I am concealing the model 22 good enough, and if I have the 22 and just a tee shirt, my wife says she can notice printing. If you dress like this often it is a consideration, but if you always have some kind of larger garment on, your gtg.

Not sure what your talking about with the mag cutout, is it on the mag or frame? And have you looked at the model 19x to see if it doesn't have that?
The gen 5 glocks has a mag cutout in the front of the grip at the base for "stripping mags" and its uncomfortable on my pinky. The model 45 does not have that. I'll probably just get the 19 and live with the cut out or see what I can do about covering it. I feel with my build it's going to be difficult to hide a 17 framed pistol

I'm 5'10 about 170, and I carry a Springfield xd9 all the time on my hip and nobody ever seems to notice. I told a coworker one day during a conversation about CC and he said he had no idea I carried every day, when I pulled out a full frame he was totally blown away. I did notice the guy in front of me at church had a little pea shooter on his right hip this week, but if I didnt spend so much time looking in the mirror to see if mine is imprinting I would have no idea that's what I was looking at. My point is those of us who carry are probably the only ones who will ever notice. But then again I live in Texas where open carry is legal so imprinting is not a crime like I understand it to be in other states...so I dont have to worry as much

I'm intimately familiar with the 19 and somewhat familiar with the g45.

How do you carry is probably the big question. If you like to appendix carry, then you'll run into printing issues depending on the time of season and how you dress. This is why most ccw guns like the G43 and the Shield are single stacked tiny microguns compared to the G19. You can put them in your pocket, anywhere on your waist, between your car seat, jacket pocket or whatever.
So solution, and mentality. Go with the smallest gun that fits you. Figure out maybe two ways that you will typically carry, an train the **** out of yourself
with that gun in those carries. Lastly if you are carrying as big a gun as a G19 and you like to appendix carry, maybe consider a training course. There was a guy that shot himself in the junk on the range not that long ago. Dont be him.

I'm 5'10 about 170, and I carry a Springfield xd9 all the time on my hip and nobody ever seems to notice. I told a coworker one day during a conversation about CC and he said he had no idea I carried every day, when I pulled out a full frame he was totally blown away. I did notice the guy in front of me at church had a little pea shooter on his right hip this week, but if I didnt spend so much time looking in the mirror to see if mine is imprinting I would have no idea that's what I was looking at. My point is those of us who carry are probably the only ones who will ever notice. But then again I live in Texas where open carry is legal so imprinting is not a crime like I understand it to be in other states...so I dont have to worry as much
The reason people generally don't notice that someone is concealing a pistol is because 95% of society don't think to look if someone is hiding a gun. Or if they see something under someones shirt on their hip they think it is possibly some electronic device or leatherman or something similar. For some reason, "gun" doesn't come to mind for many people when something is seen. The people that generally will notice it printing are either law enforcement, people well trained with handguns that also carry, or the other spectrum, the more observant criminals. I want my gun to be concealed well, that is why I personally don't like carrying a full size unless I'm wearing appropriate clothing. But if I'm wearing the right clothing, I ALWAYS have either my Glock M22, M35, or a 1911. I don't like to hinder myself with a compact gun unless I have to.

Creedmoor, I would concur, concealing a full size gun on a frame like yours, at least in light clothing, is going to get picked out by someone that knows what to look for. Have you tried a model 26 with a mag extension so you can get your pinky on the grip? My 27 is an 11+1, and I carry a full size 15 round spare mag, so I have a decent amount of rounds, and the 27 would have 3 or 4 more with a similar setup. My 27 is a little snappy, but the 9mm's are quite manageable even in the sub compact, and easily concealable even for small frames in light clothing. The 19 would work fine too, but just another option to check out!! I did a stippling job and slight trigger guard reduction, as well as removed the finger groove to mine to make it fit my hand a little better.
82627658_576386556247981_8455834524629073920_n.jpg
82486908_172723720772640_3142325277800005632_n.jpg

I bet the guy who shot himself in the junk is a keyboard commando. Every law abiding citizen has the right to carry but it makes me nervous to think folks like that are gonna be pulling their gun out if things go real bad...makes me wonder if doing the right thing might land me a bullet in backside from a clown like that...the only consolation is the thought that he might wet himself and be too scared to draw or if he does hes more likely to hit the floor or the wall

I bet the guy who shot himself in the junk is a keyboard commando. Every law abiding citizen has the right to carry but it makes me nervous to think folks like that are gonna be pulling their gun out if things go real bad...makes me wonder if doing the right thing might land me a bullet in backside from a clown like that...the only consolation is the thought that he might wet himself and be too scared to draw or if he does hes more likely to hit the floor or the wall

It wasn't on the draw, he did it trying to reholster. I have no idea, just a member of a gun club trying to train is all I could summarize.

However, it reasons to show that people generally don't know what they are doing.

I've seen a sheriffs deputy running a sponsored course shoot himself in the leg on a draw over a decade ago, in the military I watched a chick get hot brass in her blouse- freak out- and shoot the pavement in front of her, ricocheting a bullet into a line coaches eye, etc. There's idiots everywhere, and people don't know what they don't know even with the best intention.

The reason people generally don't notice that someone is concealing a pistol is because 95% of society don't think to look if someone is hiding a gun. Or if they see something under someones shirt on their hip they think it is possibly some electronic device or leatherman or something similar. For some reason, "gun" doesn't come to mind for many people when something is seen. The people that generally will notice it printing are either law enforcement, people well trained with handguns that also carry, or the other spectrum, the more observant criminals. I want my gun to be concealed well, that is why I personally don't like carrying a full size unless I'm wearing appropriate clothing. But if I'm wearing the right clothing, I ALWAYS have either my Glock M22, M35, or a 1911. I don't like to hinder myself with a compact gun unless I have to.

Creedmoor, I would concur, concealing a full size gun on a frame like yours, at least in light clothing, is going to get picked out by someone that knows what to look for. Have you tried a model 26 with a mag extension so you can get your pinky on the grip? My 27 is an 11+1, and I carry a full size 15 round spare mag, so I have a decent amount of rounds, and the 27 would have 3 or 4 more with a similar setup. My 27 is a little snappy, but the 9mm's are quite manageable even in the sub compact, and easily concealable even for small frames in light clothing. The 19 would work fine too, but just another option to check out!! I did a stippling job and slight trigger guard reduction, as well as removed the finger groove to mine to make it fit my hand a little better.View attachment 169648 View attachment 169649
I'm not a fan of anything smaller than the 19. The grips just aren't comfortable for me. I'm sure I could get away with them just fine but i prefer alittle bigger grip. I plan to carry about 4:00 on my right hip. I refuse to carry appendix. If I ever shot my self moby accident I'd rather it be my butt or down the side of my leg than into my junk or the femoral artery. Nice little piece you have! I bet she's alittle snappy in that 40 cal! I just sold my full sized 40 so I can get the glock 19. Didnt shoot it much and it didnt really fit my hands well.

Iirc the newest 19s may no longer have the cutout. My 19.5 MOS does not.

I think it may technically be the 19.5 with front serrations that don't have it (and mos)

Another one I'm looking at is the CZ p10c. My wife has the CZ p0-7 and it's a very nice handling gun. The glocks though have any aftermarket thing you could ever want for them.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.