CCW Holster?

wasgas

I am looking for a good CCW holster, I use it while driving alot,so what works best for driving, and maintains good comfort and functionality? Should I get a left or a right hand setup, I ask because I can shoot just as easily left or right handed?

I have seen some recommendations for these?

Crossbreed Holsters > Home

fobus roto paddle holsters work strong hand , weak hand, and are easy to adjsut for "ride" when driving.

Search for milt sparks Ive been using their stuff for years now and will not use anything else
hand made but the wait is about 6 months
I have two more on order now.

I started using Blackhawk holsters a couple years ago. I wear mine cross-draw style so my rifle butt doesnt ''clank'' off of it while its slung and Im walking. Ive noticed that while Im on my way to and from hunting locations and just driving around in general that wearing cross-draw doesnt interfere with a seatbelt near as bad as strong side (right side). I love my Blackhawk. Its strong side or cross-draw and fully adjustable for angle and retension tension. (that sounded weird but the tension is adjustable). I can fall off a cliff and the gun doesnt come out, but with the lightest touch of a finger I can draw fast in a pinch with my finger right alongside the trigger.
The longest strait period Ive worn them is 13 days. That covered from the rig to the back of a horse, to hunting, etc. It was like it wasnt even there. Big + for comfort.
But for every day concealment I just dont know if its ''consealable'' enough to suit your personal needs. Kinda depends on how consealed you wanna be. Give em' a look and see if you like em' or not. I know Im a big fan now.

For me it just depends on what and where i am carring, plus the pistol i am carring at that time.

My hunting is predator hunting in very heavy timber or brush most of the time, for that i use a cross draw or shoulder rig since you can't draw very quickly when sitting down with a standard hip holster and a rifle across your lap when calling. Add to that, that i may only have a say 10-30yd window to get the firearm in place before my bear or cat pops out in front or behind me.

For around town i simply use a iwb depending on the pistol, if it's a keltec pf9 or my bhp detective i use a cheap little gun mate. If it's my m&p .40 compact i may not use a holster, simply iwb. Or it may be in a inside pocket of a chore coat since i live in a rural area. So it just depends on where you live, and what you plan to carry. blue

It all depends on which side your strong and comfortable on. I stumbled on a site: GunHolsterPro.com. They are offering a large range of holsters you can choose from. I would recommend you to visit them too. I'm sure you'll find something meeting your requirements.

I have a holster strapped around the steering column with the pistol underneath. This is very easy to access when sitting in the drivers seat and is almost invisible to anyone looking in. This can be another gun or one that you slip into your holster before you step out.

As far as carry on your person, I have found that is a very personal decision. Not everyone is built the same (obviously) and everyone has their own idea of a carry gun and how they want to dress to conceal it. I carry a 3" barrel 1911 in a strong side "high ride" Mitch Rosen holster. It is very comfortable even when driving, but not quickly accessable with my seatbelt on..... that is what the Glock under the steering wheel is for :D. I carry everyday and have had to totally change the way I dress to be as concealed as I want to be. There are so many ways to carry, and so many sizes and types of handguns that you will just have to figure it out for yourself........ I have a whole pile of holsters sitting around that I thought would be just the thing, to only wear it once or twice and toss it in the box with the rest of rejects. :rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.