For Ladder test, load at home or at the range?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Alan Griffith, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Alan Griffith

Alan Griffith Well-Known Member

I've done both but not to any extent I have decided on a preference. Looking for your opionions. Pretty much figure you can only load at the range with sperhical/ball or small grained extruded powders.

First post by the way; though I've been loading since '73?

Big Al

2. sewwhat89

sewwhat89 Well-Known Member

Accurate Arms has proven loading at the bench with their powders can cause excessive pressures. Normal transporting of loaded ammo has time and oppurtunity to settle thereby changing the pressure curve. Just be sure to roll the loaded cases back and forth on the load bench to "settle" the powder in the cases.

jm2c

3. Centre Punch

Centre Punch Well-Known Member

GSSP,
    for years now my buddies and myself have done all our handloading for load developement at the range.
    We have used all powders in all forms, ball, flake, short and long extruded etc, except Accurate Arms which is unavailable in the UK and have seen no adverse affects in terms pressure curves.
    Chronographing has proved carefull handloading techniques with low deviations and spreads.
    We do however, have a dedicated re-loading room behind the firing points on our range set up for the Benchrest boys.
    [​IMG]

Ian

"I meant to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

4. Varmint Hunter

Varmint Hunter Well-Known Member

Huh?

[ QUOTE ]
    Accurate Arms has proven loading at the bench with their powders can cause excessive pressures.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's kind of a vague statement. Where did you get this information?