working up Ladder loads at different range

Alan Griffith

Rife is a highly customized 22 yr old Rem 700 ADL, Leupold 4x, 22" barrel turned down to a toothpick (.550" @ muzzle), fiberglass stock, lots of action metal removed so total rifle weight sans sling is 6 lb 9 oz. I've tried 300 yards Ladder test but feel the 4x (w/4" paralax) is insuffcient for 300 yard testing. Would you gentlemen feel a shorter distance, say 200 yards, to be a better range?

Big Al

I have not even used the ladder test yet, but the only difference at 200 yards would be that it would show less overall vertical dispersion. The sweet spot wouldn't stand out as much as it would at 300yds. Having not done a ladder at 200 though, I can't say how hard it would be to see the sweet spot in the group. If you feel that the 4x isn't sufficient to hold a precise point of aim at 300yds then you probably should back up to 200. Someone else will chime in who has shot a ladder at 200 that can give you their experience.

Two thoughts...
Yes, you can shoot a ladder at 200, but its not going to be as informative as at 300. My suggestion would be to shoot it at 300, just adjust your aiming point up to a size you ar comfortable centering on. I know, psychologically it feels like you have a handicap with the 4X but Ive seen 10" groups shot at 1000 yds with irons... with the right sized target.
That said, If you just don't think its do able, I might have a scope around here somewhere you could borrow... I think /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif... somewhere

Adam -- parallax is his prob, not aimpoint...at least that is my take...

I would mount a DIFFERENT scope! One that you can dial out the parallax to work up a load, then put the 4x on after the load is developed...

JB

Ah... didn't think about that... once most of your scopes have objectives that spin you kinda forget about the dark days.
Not to hijack.. but you did get my package right?

Yes, I believe paralax is my problem. Sometimes, a load will print MOA to 250 yds and turn right around a print 2-3 MOA group.

Any suggestions for a cheap but workable AO scope which would be mounted for range work only?

Big Al

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.