????? for Kirby and Shawn

elkstalker300

Might be getting a 300wm model 700. Is that action stout enough to build a 338 edge or 338 am off of. I am really interested in haveing one gun built and was thinking about using this one.

While I am not Shawn or Kirby I am a little bored this morning.... The rem action will work fine for the edge but not for the 338 AM. The 408 case is just too large for the rem.

Im not Kirby either but I do know Kirby perfers steel over stainless on some of his AM's so if you have the choice keep that in mind......Email Kirby with your question he will respond......he will also tell you his perferences and help you with any thing he can. No Shawn I didnt leave you out! I have called Shawn before also he too will help you at the drop of a hat.

Two top notch guys couldnt ask any better for advise on a long range build....these are the kinda guys youd want for your nieghbors!

Email em you wont be dissapointted.....I know some smiths ack like your bothering them these guys aint that type!

I am Shawn :) so I'll answer. The 700 LA Mag action is the standard action for a 338 Edge. There is no way to make it run a 408 based anything, get that thought out of your head ;). If you are looking for a 338 something to build on the 700 action your getting I am partial to the Edge of course but there are a few others as well.

Shawn is right on the money. If you want to use the Rem 700 receiver, the 338 Edge is about as much as you can get into a Rem 700 comfortably.

That said, with significant modifications, you can chamber the Lapua based rounds in a Rem 700 but it costs more and in fact, you could get into some custom receivers that would serve you much better without alot more $$ compared to a Converted Rem 700.

The 338 Edge is an easy fit into the Rem 700, especially with a Wyatts extended mag box.

As far as the 338 AM, again, Shawn is right on the money, its a no go. Only receiver I really recommend at this time is a BAT Model M receiver for my 338 AM. I am not saying there are not other quality receivers out there that will work but for quality, stock inletting choices and strength, this is my preferred receiver for my 338 Allen Magnum.

Kirby Allen(50)

408 action

Hi Kirby Barney Lawton has a new action not yet on tge site it is 1.450" diameter and has the .750 bolt the same as the 8000 action.

It is called a 8500 and I'm not sure but I think it is also tne same length as a 7500 long. If so it means any stock inleted for a 1.450" 7500 long action should fit the 8500.

This would be an easier option than a bat on the waiting time.

Cheers Bill
Australia

No bad ju ju. I ordered one in January and was promised to have it by february and guess what, called them a few days ago and I still have been put off another few weeks. That seems to be what it is every time I call them.

Wild Bill,

Yes I have heard about this new receiver design.

My only question is what major stock makers inlet for a 1.450" M7500 receiver? Perhaps Manner which would be a good option, I like Toms stocks.

Also, interesting you bring up shipping time concerning the Lawtons vs. the BAT.

I have had two M8000 receivers on order since the end of December last year. First one just showed up this week, second, who knows????

At least you know the BATs will take a long time and expect it with them.

Anyway, your correct, that receiver would be a great choice for a lightweight 338 AM class rifle if you can get them in a timely manor(4 months or less) and they are square.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.