For All of You Advanced Bear Baiters

HuntnID

I started my bear bait a couple weeks ago. Last week, it started getting hit by about three bears from what I can tell. Two of the bears are pretty small and I don't think I'm gonna shoot either of them.

The third bear is probably 300 pounds and has a nice white triangle on his chest. That's plenty good enough for me.

The problem is, the bigger bear only comes in between 2200-0100 hours.

Does anybody have any suggestions on getting this bear to change up his schedule and hit the bait while there is shooting light?

I have started depositing less bait, hoping to get him coming in a bit quicker but am looking for other suggestions.

One its early. Two review your set up and think about things that would make a bear more comfortable in the daytime. Does he have to break cover to feed? Where is he coming from? Where does he leave to? Are you hunting the bait currently, or just monitoring it? Get a map to see how the bait sits in the overall area.

I'm not currently hunting it, but I'd like to start pretty soon. The bear is coming up from the creek bottom and my bait is 100 yards or so below a very large clear cut. The area the bait is in is more open timber than anything.

Do you think it would be wise to move the bait further down the ridge so they are more comfortable?

Without seeing how it all lines up yes I would. I'd look for a spot along their travel route, usually the creek, that stays shaded or gets shaded the longest. Think about wind and thermals, I can't recall how far in Idaho you have to be from the creek. I'd find the thickest piece of cover, decide on a stand site (tree or ground, bow or rifle) find or make a "window" to shoot through. Your trail in to the bait will usually work, just brush a line, 10 feet wide is enough 25-50 yards long. Depending on how old or open the cut is it can keep them from coming in behind you or crossing your trail. Again depending on how it lines up a cross creek set up can work if you have room. Set your "crib" with a big log and brush so they have to get on the stand side to get the bait. Smaller ones especially like to tunnel in from the back. A friend shot one between the eyes because it wouldn't come around front. It would just stick it's head in from the back. Be patient you won't see them until their there, wait to shoot until they're committed. If its a good spot they'll settle in. If a big bear is coming regular the little ones will be nervous. Use the search function at the top of the page to look up some of the older threads, Tikkamike, and Magnumitis have some good pictures of their Wyoming setups, a little different habitat, but the pictures show good use of light, and cover.

Harper is right. They need to feel safe. Moving the Bait shouldn't affect them so I'd get it in some darker timber. The bigger bears also rend to sleep a little later so you have a little time to rework your bait to get the big guy where you want him. Have fun with it!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.