Are we all ready for spring bear hunting?

Catahoula

Its been a long winter and I cannot wait to get back out to my bear hunting country. Got a new Remington 7mm mag that I have been working up loads for. Will also buy a WY nonresident tag this year to go along with my Idaho tag since I hunt the state line anyway. Probably carry my 375 H&H when I am in grizzly country. What rifles do the rest of you like?
Kirk

Chomping at the bit! I hunted the Greys river drainage in Wyo last year and shot a nice Chocolate and this year I will on the Salmon in ID chasing bear and maybe a wolf if I'm lucky.:D

I am taking my trusty 300 wsm.

No , Im not ready, there is 10 ' of snow in the mountains and 1/2 dozen people have been killed locally in avalanches,snocat and ski. I AM TRYING TO REWORK MY 340 FOR my kid. I have done literally 100's of stalks with my bow, when younger, but our country is really mag type, I'll be on 388 Norma, so we will be packing some heavy hitters. This is last spirng the Kid has a bear claw from each bear he has taken

Attachments

• Wyatt spring.jpg
    Wyatt spring.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 151
Just starting to recover from chasing elk and wolves, but still looking forward to trying after a spring bear this year. Always packn the 270 WSM but need to get the 338's on something out over a 1000 yards and a bear would do nicely gun)

Whacked a few with my 270WSM, & with my -06, & one with a .44 mag.
Next on the list is my 300WSM if its done in time for load development before August...
Man I'm gettin the itch! Haven't layed the smack down on anything(zero, zilch, nadda, nothin') since last bear season! Smoked a big dry sow that I thought was a nice size boar. Ate good tho. I love bear huntin, its my passion, but I'd really like to draw & fill my Deer, & Elk tags sometime in this century as well :Dgun)

my go-to bear gun is the never improved upon 30.06. :D Even in grizz country, I'm completely comfortable with the .06 with Barnes or Nosler bullets in the 180 to 200 grain wt. It's a nice light weight rifle with a 22" pacnor fluted bbl.

I hear you. I just loaded some 200 Gr accubonds. I have been going over maps and looking at goole earth, and I still have until May before I can get into my spot.

I have the itch as well, cant get in the woods for a while due to the snow. I will probably have to wait till the end of April first of May.

I will be taking my .300WM, I also worked up some 200gr Accubonds up over the winter, gotta go try them out :). Also have some barnes TTSX 168gr pills on the way from Midway. I will probably have time to play around with these as well before the snow gets low enough to get out there.

Happy Hunting everyone!!!!

JPB

I'll be baiting this spring with a friend. I shot my last bear with my .416 Rem. and 300gr X bullets. This year my virgin .458 Lott and 400gr X will get the nod. My buddy is going to test out his .470 Capstick on one.

Idahoctd,

Any idea what the snow fall has been up in the Salmon ntl forest along the border is. More than aveage, less than average?

i will be trying a new area this year and am headed out scouting tomorrow and shoooting my new 300 win mag with some 180 accubonds along with the 338 lapua

I'm pumped for bear season. Last year was a complete bust due to all the snow we got from the freak winter we had. The Bighorns don't hardly have any snow right now so access should not be an issue. I'll probably be using my 300 Win. with 180 TTSX.

My Montana Non-res tag just showed up. Never been bear hunting before, but going with guys from work who have! I'm excited to get out there!! I doubt my STW will be here on time to develop a load, so the trusty 270WSM with Barnes bullets will be making the trip

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.