Flash Hider or no????

The7mmSTW

Going to build a 20 inch upper for shooting distance and paper punching, should i go with a threaded ended barrel for a flash hider or no threads?

what would i be losing or gaining by not running a flash hider?

-matt

IMHO, unless the target you're hunting is hunting you, too, a flash hider isn't all that necessary. You might go threaded to add a compensator or suppressor later on, though. If I ever settle down in a NFA-friendly state, I'll have to thread or replace a few barrels to mount suppressors. If you think you'll go down that road, save the extra step and buy threaded now with a screw-on thread protector.

I'd say, do without. Flash suppresors bring some potential problems into the mix, and unless you're doing something that actually calls for one, there's no point in risking the trouble.

I'm with Nomad, for longer ranges get a target crown and have the barrel treaded. That way you can just put a thread protector on for now, and still have the option of a break/comp/supressor down the road. It's what I did, and having the veratility has been really nice. I run a Ops break for range shooting, and swap it for a thread protector in the field, best of both worlds.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.