FL sizing die getting stickier

I don't think isopropyl alcohol is a good cleaner for some things and could have left a sticky coating inside the die. What lube were you using before things got sticky?

I'd get some Ronsonol lighter fluid clean your die with that. That's a better solvent for greases and stuff than IPA is.

Also your issue illustrates why you're better off to deprime separately and resize with out an expander. You could tap/work the shellholder out of the press ram and insert a bolt thru the top of the die and tap the case loose.

I don't think isopropyl alcohol is a good cleaner for some things and could have left a sticky coating inside the die. What lube were you using before things got sticky?

I'd get some Ronsonol lighter fluid clean your die with that. That's a better solvent for greases and stuff than IPA is.

Also your issue illustrates why you're better off to deprime separately and resize with out an expander. You could tap/work the shellholder out of the press ram and insert a bolt thru the top of the die and tap the case loose.
Agree. In my process; clean range brass gets de-primed by my RCBS universal die. Although this is an extra step, it eliminates my sizing dies from getting dirty and or contaminated. As I've already stated, I periodically clean all my dies and guns with Hornady Gun cleaner and lube. Another option would be to use non coordinated brake cleaner followed by a light spray of a dry lube.

If I size a bunch of cases I clean the sizing die when I'm done regardless of how clean the cases were when I started. I usually use a larger patch 2.25 or 3" and a needle eye jag. Or a Kleenex or some TP rolled up will work too.

Case lube has been One Shot Spray or Wax. This incident is the first time I've followed up wax with spray inside the case neck and that was because it was getting sticky. I've always cleaned the dies with 91% isopropyl. Thought about buying some acetone but I really haven't needed it. Even the first cleaning when these dies were new was 91% iso. I've also always sized before cleaning cases, so prior to this incident, there has always been some carbon residue in the case neck. Obviously I don't have a solid rationale for cleaning before sizing this time. 🤔

I don't resize picked up brass anymore, but I usually wipe my cases with a cloth before re-sizing if I feel it's needed. I usually tumble clean after sizing. If your case stuck in the die it's a good bet that it wasn't lubed. Lubing the inside of the necks won't do much for that except eliminate that aggravating sound when the expander button goes to work.

I usually just deprime the cases, then use the ultrasonic cleaner, followed by Dillon case lube spray. I then go upstairs and get a coffee, or soda, then resize the cases. As far as cleaning the dies I have always use break cleaner, just making sure if I'm not sizing cases then spray with the case lube, to prevent rust as the break cleaner removes all oils and grease from the dies.

Best case lube is 1 part pure lanolin 10 parts 99% alcohol, let sit for few minutes and shake gently before each lube session. Let dry after spraying on cases (include case mouth) for 10 min. If impatient place in front of fan for 3-5 min. Once u try this you wont believe how easy cases go into sizing die and then how easy to tumble afterwards to remove lube. My bon a fides are 45 yrs of handloading for 5 different disciplines and tens of thousands of rounds on Dillon 550's. I have 3 Dillon 550's, one for just working brass and 1 lg primer and 1 small primer set up. I have tried most sizing lubes on the market and found this combo works like magic and most importantly, NO STUCK CASES!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.