FL sizing die getting stickier

Laguna Freak

My Hornady Series I 30-06 Custom Grade FL sizing die seems to be getting sticky.

This evening I cleaned it with 91% isopropyl alcohol and started de-capping and sizing twice fired RP and Frontier cases. The RP's started getting sticky to the point that 1 got stuck and I had to take the die apart to get the case out. Cases were all cleaned and lightly lubed with one shot case sizing wax. When they started getting sticky, I sprayed one shot aerosol case lube inside the necks.

I usually de-cap and size before cleaning. So, I'm wondering if cleaning first was the likely cause of the stuck case. Or do I need to change my process some other way that I'm not recognizing? Like, maybe I need to anneal first after the 2nd firing. ???

JD, why do you let the one shot dry for ten minutes? I give it about two minutes.
I would have cases act the same as you. I received some advice from another member here to let them dry for about ten minutes. The following is what he told me.

"Regardless of what the label says let the lube dry at least 10 minutes before sizing. The lube thickens as the carrier agent evaporates, sizing early can lead to a stuck case."

Never had another problem.

Someone on this site recommended cleaning dies with solvent, drying them thoroughly, then spraying a little One-Shot into the die and letting it dry before using a new die. I do that now, and it seems to help. The shot into the die does not replace the spray on the cases -- you still have to spray them and let them dry.

My Hornady Series I 30-06 Custom Grade FL sizing die seems to be getting sticky.

This evening I cleaned it with 91% isopropyl alcohol and started de-capping and sizing twice fired RP and Frontier cases. The RP's started getting sticky to the point that 1 got stuck and I had to take the die apart to get the case out. Cases were all cleaned and lightly lubed with one shot case sizing wax. When they started getting sticky, I sprayed one shot aerosol case lube inside the necks.

I usually de-cap and size before cleaning. So, I'm wondering if cleaning first was the likely cause of the stuck case. Or do I need to change my process some other way that I'm not recognizing? Like, maybe I need to anneal first after the 2nd firing. ???
Check the vent hole in your die...if it's plugged you will get this and generally dents in your cases to follow. Could be that simple!

One shot let dry as stated and once in awhile I polish my sizing dies very lightly with 0000 steel wool and a good lubricant and wipe them clean on the inside afterwards.
I spray all my dies with Hornady gun cleaner and lube. Never had any issues. Knock on wood. " Murphys Law" disregard this post🤫

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.