FL size X-BALL removed or Body die

chino034

With my 243 I FL size 1st reload, then use a Redding Neck die and Forester seater with great results. I FL size when needed after that. After reading Jerry Teo's how to article, can I get the same results of the Body die by removing the De-capper and X-pander ball of my FL die and sizing with it, and then useing my neck sizer to size the neck. My reason for question is I am starting to reload 30'06 for hunting ammo. Thanks guys 1st post.

Yes you can and it actually can work really well. Do you have a runnout gauge so you can check how "straight" your sized brass is?? Anyhow I have some FL dies that I just can't seem to get good runnout with. I will use a decapping die....then the fl die without an expander stem...then I plunge the case mouth over an expander to get it back to dimension. For some reason when you size the neck by pushing it over the expander instead of pulling it down out of the die it seems to leave the runnout very good. (This is obviously not a great way to make high volume numbers but is not terribly slow when trying to work up about 20 high quality hunting rounds.)
Try and get that FL die to just bump the shoulder back about .001-.002 and you will have some real nice brass ready to load.
FWIW....I do alot of sizing for my favortie calibers by using a lee collet die and a redding body die. Not too terrible much invested but it sure works nice. Your Idea should do pretty much the same.

Thanks Kraky I don't have a run out gauge yet but I am going to try this when FL sizing is necesary. What type of seater do you use. I am going to try the Lee deluxe set first and go from there. MY Redding Neck and Forester seater work great in my 243. Thanks.

k

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.