first vs. second focal plane, could there be another option?

Mine are just opinions too, and I'm pretty sure the polls around here reflect the same.
This is not a tactical site.
It's Long Range Hunting here, and for this highest resolution in adjustment, aim, & accuracy of solution/ranging is appropriate. Many here use laser ranging as it's way more accurate than optical bracketing. We dial our scopes as this is more accurate than holding off for elevation. For us varmint hunters our reticles need to be finer with distance(instead of the same). MILS, which most often accompany FFP scopes, are often not as fine as common IPHY, or MOA adjustments. 1/10MIL is a good bit coarser than 1/4MOA, and worse still compared to 1/4IPHY.
Weight often follows tactical scopes, as it seems a tactical trend to add unnecessary weight to guns. FFP scopes similar in spec to SFP scopes are also more expensive.

Beyond slight brightness, possibly, I cannot think of a single practical advantage in FFP to a long range hunter. And the suggestion that a FFP scope is good enough doesn't impress me really, as SFP scopes are certainly good enough as well. And SFP scopes can always be had in finer reticle subtension, and adjustments(like 1/8). And price for price, I could pick up a far superior SFP.

Having both combined amounts to R&D that is less beneficial for us who laser range & dial with better precision anyway. I would not want a SFP that is somewhat like a FFP.
But then, I'm not tactical. I'm a LR Hunter.
Oh, and the 'Smart Car' that has a manual transmission -shifted automatically, will go down in automotive history as one of the dumbest designs released to our highways..

Now I can understand what are your needs and I completely agree with you. I have to say that I have completely forgot about varmints ...

I understand the needs (and simple application) of some shooters who want a reticle that doesn't change subtension when the power is changed, but I'm a dedicated 2nd FP shooter, and love the math that's used with it. IMO there's nothing better than the inversely proportional nature of 2nd FP reticle subtension vs. magnification, and the adaptation of the mil-ranging formula for reticle-ranging and downrange zeroing at any power with any multi-stadia reticle (including simple plex). Have had a lot of fun in the field and on the range using those concepts.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.