First try over 400 meters. (437 yards)

Riflemanse

Hi

To day I tried shooting at over 400m. I shot at 486m (531 yards), 3 shots. The weather was a little windy and the temp was +25 C.
I shot in prone position only using my bipods.
This was the result.

486m21rx.jpg

The three shot group messured 4.9 inch C-C.

Right now I have a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 Mil-Dot scope.
Would I be better of with a Bushnell Elite 4200, Leupold VX-III or Weaver with higher magnification?

That's some nice shooting. The vertical on that group looks real good, did you by any chance measure that? How about some equipment details.

Chris

I'd say that looks pretty good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Just think if there had been no wind /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Good shootin'

I think that is excellent shooting, especially for a windy day. You are obviously doing something right to get a group like that the first time out.

Hi

Thanks for your answers.
I vertical spread was 1.09 inch.

The rifle is a Winchester M70 LA in .308 Win with a 24½" Lothar Walther SS Benchrest Light Varmint barrel.
Blueprinted action. The stock is as im sure you can see the Choate Ultimate Sniper Stock.
The scope is mounted in Warne QR rings on a Ken Farrell 20 Incline Base.

I have now fired 480 rounds thru that barrel, it´s easy to clean and shoots good.

I load my ammunitin my selfe with Norma brass, Federal Gold
Medal Match, 43gn Varget and 167gn Lapua Scenar bullets.

Best Regards

Nice shooting!!

It won't be long now before you'll have to stretch things out a little further, then a little further, then, I think you get the point.

I've got to ask, how do you like the Ult. Sniper? That is the stock I'll have on my 270 AM. I handled the stock a bit before sending it to Kirby. I think it will be very functional. Just ugly as sin and a bit heavy.

Hi

I think the stock is ok for the money. There is a little flex in the front of it and yes, it´s heavy. :)

I have now made two more tries. I have also moved the target a little so It should be 500m now (546 yards) Yesterday i got a 3 shot group that measured 6.8 inch C-C with almost just vertical spread.
It was quite windy.

To day the wind was just fine, a slow breze from behind and to the right. 3 shots with a 2.6 inch spread C-C.

I also fired four rounds at a gong gong I made but only hit it three times. (At the same distance)

The hole in the lower part is made by my friend, shooting a 30-06 FMJ in 2985 fps from 218 yards.

Now I want a longer range but it´s hard to find here in Sweden... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Good shooting and thanks for the pictures and posts.

Always good to see a new(er) and excited shooter.

2.6 in at over 500 yds. Thats less than MOA. Your verticle stringing is good but the horizontal indicates some need to practice with the wind. I say this tongue in cheek cause I don't think I could do any better. Nice shootin! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Nice shooting,

there is an annual 500yard Fly shoot at Diggle in the UK. I went along with a pal to have a go and shot these groups. Smallest is 2.180" Rifle is a breathed on Rem 700LA in 6.5x284. It was my first attempt at this comp and I will be going again! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

DSC00218.jpg

DSC00208.jpg

Hi Andy,
Just been reading the spec of your Rifle, Norman is arguably the the finest Riflesmith in Britain some have even said in the World! Others will say Callum is better but remember Callum sends his bolt handle mods to Norman.
I use Norman for all my shooting stuff as iam only 9 miles away, are you local or do you live in the north west?

Ian.

"I mean't to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

Hi Ian,

aggreed that Norman Clark is one of the best smiths in the UK. However, I don't like his waiting list - I bought the rifle in the picture from McCleods at Tain secondhand in early July 2004 and sent it to Norman that week with my work spec requirements and a large deposit. (Promised a three month turn around) The work took ten months to complete, there was a problem with the supply of the barrel from Kreiger, who also seem to be very busy at the moment so it wasn't all Normans fault. I suppose that waiting is the price you pay for quality work. I cannot recommend NC highly enough, he has worked on several of my rifles and all are shooters. The 6.5x284 was a present to myself - always wanted a custom job to my spec and I went the whole hog, it was expensive and yes it is still only a Rem 700 at the end of the day but it makes me smile when it outshoots so called precision made guns from other companies. FYI I am in the NW at the Cumbria / Lancashire Border.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.