Newbie Question about Wind Meters

Discussion in 'The Basics, Starting Out' started by mrb1982, Jul 5, 2012.

1. mrb1982

mrb1982 Well-Known Member

I am just kinda getting started on shooting long range. I have a Sendero in 7mm Rem Mag. I am working on getting a range finder(never used one before, but never tried shots that I would have needed them for), and am looking at wind meters also. My buddy tells me the Kestrel's are pretty good. I am wondering, with all the different models and capabilities out there, waht do I really need? I am thinking the 2500 with Wind, Temp, and Barometric Pressure would be pretty nice. My question would be do I really need the BP? I will be shooting strictly long range hunting, no target. Thanks for your help.

2. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

Barometric pressue isn't going to make much difference until you get past 1,000yds.

If by BP you mean "bipod" no it's not a necessity, but man will they ever come in handy when trying to shoot prone. You will be far steadier with a bipod than you ever will be bracing off of your pack or a rock/log etc.

3. mrb1982

mrb1982 Well-Known Member

By BP, I mean Barometric Pressure. thanks for the input on the wind meter. I have a bipod on my gun and it's great. I need to get a descent range finder and wind meter and then I will be ready to rock. After that, I will try to upgrade my glass.

4. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

For me the Baro data is the most important since I change elevation by thousands of feet during a hunt, it's an easily accounted for item and the more you nail down the better your solution will be!!!