first time lapping rings

That is a decision process that I go thru every time I'm about to modify something. It is possibly returnable up to that point. It almost for sure won't be after I make that first change. Is it worth it? What are my end goals? Is it too expensive to scrap if the mod fails to achieve those goals?

Part of the reason that I don't like the Wheeler supplied lapping compound is that it would be real easy to go too far almost without realizing it. Spend the money on some much finer grit Clover compound. You'll like the resulting finish better and you'll have to work really hard to go too far.

I pretty much start with the 600 Clover. On rare occasion (once that I can recall out of not all that many sets of lapped rings) I used the supplied compound because a cheap ring set had a long ways to go.

So i have never lapped rings before but since i spent some money on a schmidt and bender klassik on a new hunting sauer rifle i would like to lap my talley rings. Now, as i watch youtube their are various ways people lap rings. All relatively the same concept but has to do with how long you lap and do you keep tightening the screws down. Anyone have any solid video they trust on it or

So i have never lapped rings before but since i spent some money on a schmidt and bender klassik on a new hunting sauer rifle i would like to lap my talley rings. Now, as i watch youtube their are various ways people lap rings. All relatively the same concept but has to do with how long you lap and do you keep tightening the screws down. Anyone have any solid video they trust on it or some pointers?
It will void the warranty on most good quality Rings if you lap them. Find a video on bedding them and how to properly level a scope using a flashlight and plumb bob instead
I lap my Ruger rings because the witness mark on those rings shows they "do" need lapping. I also use "EXD Engineering Vertical Reticle Instrument", a vertical line that I have drawn on my garage door 40 feet from my bench and....a flashlight to align my scopes. I am not sure if this tool is as good as a plumb bob, however it seems to work for me. This tool does align that centerline of the scope to the centerline of the bore.

Yes the exd is what I use as well and I use the plumbob to get my straight vertical line. I did have to lap one set of rings but that was only because the scope tube fit too tightly and then I bedded it after that.

I have been lapping my rings for 30+ years using clover compound. I have no proof that it increases accuracy but I do know it will prevent scope damage. Improperly aligned rings will "crush" scope tubes to fit. I ruined a new $350 (a lot of $ to me back then) Leupold variX III back in the 80's.
The power ring would be smooth half way through the power range and then stick. This was not covered under warranty. If I remember correctly, it was about half the value of the scope for them to repair it with a new tube.
I've had all types/brands of rings and they are all out alignment more than I like.
The way I see it, I would rather lose the warranty on a $100-200 set of rings than an $800+ scope.

Every set of rings that I have lapped were shockingly out of alignment. Talley are the worst out of alignment. Even my seekins rings on a seekins one piece base had high and low spots in them.

I'll never mount a scope without lapping again. It doesn't take more than 30min anyway.

I haven't done it yet, so I have no ground to stand on, but bedding a scope into a set of rings has merit and I think it should be considered. I know that I have. It's a scary thing, doing something new. Maybe this next scope will get bedded rings instead of lapped rings......

Would you put rosin in a set of lapped rings? And I know people said only the bottom rings but why not the top ring. Would it make since to have it lapped as well?

Would you put rosin in a set of lapped rings? And I know people said only the bottom rings but why not the top ring. Would it make since to have it lapped as well?
I never have used rosin. Lapped rings provide plenty of surface grip area if you get at least 80% cleanup. Speaking from experience on 7 mags.

It was after L. Sherm posted that comment that I too started bedding the bases and rails.

I've never lapped only the bottom half of the rings as I don't think that there's such a thing as out of half-round. It is either round or it is out of round.