First season with the 6.5 Sherman

CliffM

I would like to thank all those who take the time and effort to post on the variety of subjects on this site. It is very rare that I ever have a question about something that I can't find an answer to or an opinion on somewhere on this site.
I have been interested in 6.5 caliber cartridges for almost 40 years and read everything I come across about them, but have never owned any.
I had a pre-64 M70 30-06 that I used to shoot alot, but in recent years it sat in the back of the closet. I wanted to do something special with it, but not change it's character much. When I came across Elkoholic's 6.5 Sherman it began to look like a good fot for what i wanted.
This is what I ended up building:
Win pre-64 action
Pac-Nor #5, 3 groove, 8 twist, 26"
CSR mini- muscle brake
Target trigger spring
K-G gunkote-black&titanium
Leupold 4.5-14x40 variX-3
Machine work done by Oldynski Guncrafting Dillon,Mt
Load work up for hunting season consisted of Elkoholic'S load: 63gr Retumbo and 140 Bergers in winchester cases at 3150fps.
Some firsts gun pics 017.jpg
first group @100gun pics 016.jpg
first @600gun pics.jpg
first@ 1000

Attachments

• gun pics 017.jpg
    gun pics 017.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 201
  • gun pics 016.jpg
    gun pics 016.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 174
  • gun pics.jpg
    gun pics.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 188
  • gun pics 003.jpg
    gun pics 003.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 171
Ya just gotta love the lines on that rig. Love the look and feel of the old Mod 70s.

Looks good....shoots good.....great cartridge and apparently a pretty darn good driver.:)

There is alot of attachment to this rifle, My dad bought it when he came home from Korea in I think '52. I had to use the 30-30 when we hunted together, but when I went alone I got to use it. Some wouldn't have touched it, but for me I wanted something to use now and to pass to my boys.
It is alot easier to shoot the rifle than it is to shoot good pictures(gotta work on that)
The 1000yd group was shot in quite a bit of mirage and I don't think I have seen it's best yet.
It was also the first decent load that I've found with H1000. I had some on the shelf for years, but never could find anything it would shoot good in, until I come across a load for the 30-338 win using standard primers. Always used magnums in that rifle so I thought I would give it a try. After working up a load using cci200's I went through all my primers and was really shocked to find that I had been milking the wrong end of the cow. F210's did the best with groups .3 and under. Tried the same thing in the 6.5 Sherman and had the same results with cci-br2's. :D
I have never been a fan of muzzle brakes of any kind at all until I shot BignGreens 270wsm with a muscle brake on it. Instant convert! all my guns will get them from now on.I just love being able to see the hit though the scope.
I will get some hunting pics up tonight. Those first ones were 3 hrs. work. Cliff

Wow Cliff! Looks like the "old gal" is a pretty darn good shooter and good lookin' to boot! You have done a great job and looks like you've done my cartridge proud. Keep in touch and keep us updated......Rich

Roy, This thing is so easy to "drive" I think all it would take is a learner's permit.:)
Rich we may have need of your reamer again when my youngest finishes college.
The first test specimen I let come in to 610 yds, dialed up and dropped it. David's '06 isn't equipped to shoot that far so I passed the 6.5 to him, a few clicks lower and he fills his tag,making a better hit than mine-straight through the pump! He looks at me and says" I think maybe we need another one.Longest shots ever for us both.Rhian wouldn't shoot one because he had to have HIS rifle, which he had forgot at home.:rolleyes:
View attachment 6326
This is the first buck and the closest shot of the year @ 250. Rhian and I walked around 7-8 miles for him, the only horns of the day, and after that far there was no way I was going home empy handed
View attachment 6327
Finally the first elk
View attachment 6325
Just got the call that the Vortex I ordered in September has arrived.
Only 243 shooting days till the season opens.
Cliff

Cliff....you are more than welcome to use the reamer any time you want. I also have a "max" version now that holds another grain of powder. A friend of mine just got his .280 Sherman back and we are excited to see what it will do. It is based on the exact case as your 6.5.......Rich

Roy.....you need to get that .270 Sherman going:D

Roy, This thing is so easy to "drive" I think all it would take is a learner's permit.:) Rich we may have need of your reamer again when my youngest finishes college. The first test specimen I let come in to 610 yds, dialed up and dropped it. David's '06 isn't equipped to shoot that far so I passed the 6.5 to him, a few clicks lower and he fills his tag,making a better hit than mine-straight through the pump! He looks at me and says" I think maybe we need another one.Longest shots ever for us both.Rhian wouldn't shoot one because he had to have HIS rifle, which he had forgot at home.:rolleyes:
IMG_2212.jpg
This is the first buck and the closest shot of the year @ 250. Rhian and I walked around 7-8 miles for him, the only horns of the day, and after that far there was no way I was going home empty handed
IMG_2242.jpg
Finally the first elk
IMG_2406.jpg
Just got the call that the Vortex I ordered in September has arrived. Only 243 shooting days till the season opens. Cliff

Just got off the phone with tech support (bigngreen) trying to find out what I did to those pictures
problem solved (for now)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.