first project

aaron338

Hello everyone,
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with browning bolt rifles? Im starting to put together a 300 win mag for some long range work. Is the browning a suitable platform to work with or am I barking up the wrong tree.

It can be made to shoot well. A remington would be easier with the abundance of aftermarket parts. I have an abolt that has been rebarreled 3 times. When i take this one off i will retire the action.

d-a

Yes they can be shooters but you will be hard pressed to find an accuracy minded smith that will have them in their short list of preferred receivers to build this type of rifle on.

Main problems, stock bedding, trigger work and they are just more difficult to accurize then many other choices.

My pick for factory receivers to start building on. Far and away the best is the Rem 700. Second would be a near tie between the Savage 110 and the Winchester M70 push feed. These are simply from an accurising standpoint.

Get your Browning accurized, new barrel and quality stock with a good stressfree bedding job and it will shoot.

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby,
One thing I really like about my A-Bolt is the 60-deg. bolt throw. Are there any other suitable actions that have a 60-deg. or less bolt throw? I think I remember from somewhere that there were a couple of actions that either had or could be modified for a reduced bolt throw and depended upon how many lugs were involved or something like that....

bat makes a three lug action now. If you really needed the 60 degree bolt lift.

d-a

There are several custom actions that are three lug designs but not many factory receivers. Browning is one of the few modern 3 lug receivers and then there is the Wby nine lug mess. Sorry gunsmith opinion coming out again!!! LOL

Kirby Allen(50)

Based on the price of the BAT actions I think I'll stick with Browning, then, when/if I start having a custom rig built.

The BATs are spendy but after using most of the major receivers, factory and custom, what you get with the BAT is well worth the investment everytime.

The wait for them is often harder then the price tag unfortunately!!

I have yet to have a customer say a word about cost once they have shot their rifle built on a BAT receiver. It really comes down to what type of rifle you are building and if a custom is a better choice then a factory receiver for that application.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.