new gun project

waylon

Next year I going to have a 6.5x284 built and was needing a few tips. Wanted to use a rem. action but my gunsmith recommed a sako aciton are they any draw backs to this action. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

50bmg,

Not really but there are no where near the amount of aftermarket products for the sako, namely stocks. McMillan offers several models so you are in good shape there.

Personally, I would say that a properly built Rem 700 would be a better option over the Sako depending on the model. This is personal opinion but I think you will find it a common one and there is a reason for this.

If you were one of my customers I would recommend Rem 700 all the way if you were going to go with a factory receiver. That said, a properly built Sako will be a fine shooting rifle. What model Sako did he recommend to use?

Kirby Allen(50)

Hey 50BMG

Did ya have a look at this thread

http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=78488&an=0&page=0#78488

Rem 700 all the way...And I will never look back. I had several people tell me the same thing and went with the 700 action. You can see in the pics of targets that she shoots with the best of any custom action.

Look up Chris Matthews at Longshot rifles [email protected]

The Man is gifted! Thats all that can be said! He will get you on the right track

JOe

If you can't afford a shinny new Bat machined action then by all means go w/a Remmy action. I also must agree w/LL that Sir Chris Matthews of Long Shot Rifles is the man to build it. Look at what LabLovers 6.5x284 does that Chris built, it's a Lazer! Git'r Done!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

That's where I got the idea to have a gun built becase it looks so good and shoots the same to. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

don't waste your time or money, get a rem. and put a jewel trigger on it. i heard the gun doctor in payson az. builds some of the best long rifles around, gary scheieder has his barrel shop right down the street.

50BMG, I HAVE A 6.5X284 IMPROVED (290NK) AND I USE A BAT 8.5 ACTION. IF YOU HAVE THE MONEY, BUY THE BAT. THESE ACTIONS ARE IMPRESSIVE AND WELL WORTH THE MONEY. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR NEW RIFLE PROJECT AND IF YOU NEED ANY INFO, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. YOU ARE GOING TO LOVE THE 6.5X284. I AM HAVING A NEW 338 LUPA IMPROVED BUILT, I CAN'T WAIT!! GOOD LUCK!!

Just as a matter of interest, is there a piccatinny base that will fit onto a Sako reciever, or would the dovetails have to be machined away and the reciever drilled and tapped to suit?

Ian.

"I mean't to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

I think the bat action would be overkill for a gun to carry to the feild to hunt coyotes and target practice. Do you agree /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Just as a matter of interest, is there a piccatinny base that will fit onto a Sako reciever, or would the dovetails have to be machined away and the reciever drilled and tapped to suit?

[/ QUOTE ]

Near Manufacturing was the only one I could find. It was a bit pricey, but, let me tell you, it is a work of art.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.