First Prairie Dog Hunt (NOT THE LAST)

Zen Archery

If you ever get the chance to go Prairie Dog Hunting, DO IT!!!
Shoot! Shoot! Shoot!
pErXP0fl.jpg

I think a rotating bench should be on your list of "must haves" for shooting pdawgs. The slight increased elevation and comfort will be well worth the price. I think your target acquisition will be quicker also. Good video to help pacify us until we get out on them.
Any accurate bolt or AR rifle in 204R or 223 (pretty much any 20 or 22 caliber cartridge) will be perfect for shooting these guys. The problem with going pdawg shooting is, you have to keep doing it....an addictive activity!

Last edited:
Very addictive indeed.
I had a rotating bench I just prefer to shoot prone when able.
I'm really favoring the 22-250 as of now. Gotta do more research.

If you're really into them, won't the 22-250s warm rapidly? A Bud said he used a battery aquarium pump, using water to cool his battery of rifles. Also sopping rags of isopropyl. He is a veteran of the "good old days" of dog shooting.
A horseman, he was guided to one dog town 5 miles x 10 miles.....!

I've shot prairie dogs for more than 50 years! I've used everything from 22LR to 25-06! I have shot thousands of rounds each summer and in recent years have found the 17Rem and 204 to be excellent when the wind is reasonable otherwise I like the 22-250 class and occasionally 6mmAI when the wind is nasty! Recently Built a 22Creedmoor shootings 75 GR Bergers and in the wind it is great! As a 3 gun shooter I have a Dillon 1050 setup in 223 and it doubles as a high volume Pdog loader shooting 55Vmax! So I have multiple 223 bolts.
When the pups first come out one of my buddies brow beat my into a couple 17WSM, they are fun for the close in (<150yd) dumb ones, only problem the rifles that are available are a long way from high end!
My only recommendation to you Zen is get an elevated bench up off the ground.......any place u find dogs you have rattle snakes and prone is the last place u want to be with rattlers around! I see many of them every year! As a surgeon we see Rattler Bites in our ERs every summer!
Shooting out of side by sides or off a trailer with a bench are by far the safest and most commonly seen here! I'm like u.....always prefer prone but not in rattler country! And take it from me if there are prairie dogs there are Rattlers!

One the list of one of the funnest things I've ever done, all day over a scope and rifle 2000 rounds later :)! First/only time in my life I can say I was tired of shooting!
P rairiedogs
E ncountering
T actical
A ggression!!!!!!

Yes by all means get a bench, do not lie prone, there are alot of rattle snakes around prairie dog towns as stated before and I know this doesn't have much to do with shooting but I would highly recommend if you are going to hunt prairie dogs you invest in a good set of snake boots, they have saved more than a few hunts which would of quickly turned bad and in alot of places medical help is a long way off.

Yes by all means get a bench, do not lie prone, there are alot of rattle snakes around prairie dog towns as stated before and I know this doesn't have much to do with shooting but I would highly recommend if you are going to hunt prairie dogs you invest in a good set of snake boots, they have saved more than a few hunts which would of quickly turned bad and in alot of places medical help is a long way off.

100% agree with this. besides the snakes, there are cactus and PD droppings that carry disease on the ground as well.

a decent rotating table is ~$110 from Rodgers sporting goods.

The snake boots are a good idea. I'm old and on my second knee replacement. I have a hard time right now, and had a hard time last year with the left knee replacement getting in the prone. I use a 6mm Remington or a Ruger No. 1 in 25-06 for prarie dogs and a set of shooting sticks, off of a portable chair. It lets me be steady enough for shots to 300 or 350 yards, and as an added benefit, I get to practice using the sticks for big game. If I'm steady enough for the shot on p-dogs at 300+, I'll be good for elk or deer out to 600 yards, which is as far as I am willing to shoot at elk. But I generally bring about 100 to 150 rounds to the dance.

If you ever get the chance to go Prairie Dog Hunting, DO IT!!!
Shoot! Shoot! Shoot!
pErXP0fl.jpg

I shoot a Ruger M77 in 6mm Remington with 75 to 80 grain bullets, and a Ruger No.1 in 25-06 with a varmint weight barrel, again with 75 to 85 grain bullets. Velocities are around 3300 to 3400 fps and I sight for 200 yards. Basically, this means line of sight out to about 250 yards, on p-dogs standing up, and no need to range them until they are outside about 250 yards. Also, they tend to stay up if you're shooting them at 175 to 250 yards unless you get a really close miss. The 25-06 is especially fun because the hits tend to launch the dog about 7 or 8 feet. In a town that hasn't been shot much, you can get up to 40 or 50 shots before they get educated. And they don't keep the education so you get the same the next time. Its the best long range practice you can have under field conditions. And the ranchers and farmers are happy to get rid of some of the disease ridden things. But you really do want to watch for snakes.

Last year I spent 3 days shooting prairie dogs with friends from our varmint club, There was 10 of us. It's a blast and tons of practice. We successfully made shots out to 600 + yards.
My buddy and I had the following rifles:
22 Hornet 40gr Blitzking 13grs Lil-Gun
CZ 527 American 20" barrels kills to 390 yards
22-250 35gr V-Max Kills out to 610 yards
T/C Bulberry Custom pistol 14" barrel
Remington 700 Krieger 1/9, 26" barrel
243 87gr V Max Remington 700 Krieger 1/9, 24" barrel 600 yards
Bogden Camera Tripod with Hog Saddle
Caldwell Tripod with V cradles supporting forearm and butt stock.
Harris Bipod each rifle
Shooting Mats, Folding Chairs, Folding table, Table shooting rest, Ground Tarps.
Spotting Scope 20-80 x 80, Leica 15x56 Rangefinder Binocular
Gunwerks G7 Rangefinder

Wide brim hat , long sleeve shirt, wind breaker jacket, boots.
LOTS of water, Ice Chest full of ice Blocks, 30qt cooler with COLD drinks, food.
We hunt from sunrise to sunset.

We take turns as Spotter/Shooter in this way we can call corrections for wind and elevation. When we miss your spotter can can your adjustment. This has resulted in quick follow up hits on target.

This year I'm taking my new Howa Mini Mauser in 6.5 Grendel, Nightforce 3.5-15 x 50 NSX for the long shots. Over the past few weeks I've developed data for my drop card wiith dope to 500 yards. Going to reload 100 rds so I can shoot to 800 yards in a few days.

Hi I'm new to the forum. I live in southern missouri. I'm wanting info on available places to pdog hunt within 500 miles or so. If possible i would like contact info. I would be willing to pay 100 dollars a day. Not sure if that is a reasonable amount? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thankyou

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts