first prairie dog hunt and need info

bighurt

Hi all,
A group of 6 are wanting to prairie dog hunt this coming spring and need some advice on outfitters, places to go and this plague thing you read about. We will be coming from Tennessee and a few people say just go out there hook up with a rancher and have at it, well that might work well for some but we don't really want to drive 1500 miles and hope we find some.

We are all experinced hunters and shooters but praire dog hunting is something we have all wanted to do and since my son will be graduating from college we all are using that for the excuse to give the bosses (or wives). We really just are looking for a quality outfitter that want break the bank ($200 -$300 a day) and the opportunity to shoot some dogs but more importantly have a good time.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I don't have any great suggestions but do not just drive out and hope for the best. I suggest you google and make some phone calls. It's seems pretty difficult to find people who want you to get rid of their "pests".

I am sorry for not mentioning where we were looking at. South Dakota seems to be one we have all looked at but really anywhere. Kansas, Wyoming, Colorado, we are really kind of open at this point. Thanks for the replies.

I have been to South Dakota for pdogs before and my friend still goes out there. Check out the Lower Brule Indian reservation. They should have a site and you can find all your needed info there. The license was around 15 to 20 dollars and the permit was right around 105 I think and it's been 9 years since then. They also have a list of those you can contact that will let you come out there and shoot em up. We were right near Pierre SD and the indian reservation is south East from there and one of the properties was right on the Missouri River. The one guys name was Bill Thompson and only charged us $20 for the week. There was another one not just 15 minutes from there that let us go there for free. Ill give you a link for them
Lower Brule Sioux Tribe home page

Thanks for the info. It seems that their area is closed to non tribal members for prairie dog hunting, The search goes on.

There are others though and there is another one farther west from there too. I don't have that info with me but that is on another reservation. There also may be the problem of a plague then they won't let you hunt. There is all of Montana and Wyoming too if you want to travel farther west.

Here is another one my friend goes to.
image.jpeg

Try these guys out.

I live in south west Wyoming, and I know some pretty decent places to pop some dogs, no license of any kind required to shoot p-dogs here. I'm not a professional guide by any means, but I burn nearly an 8 pound keg of Varget a summer on these fat bellied things...Don't know if you would wanna come this far, but just throwing out an option

Thanks guys. We are pretty open at this point so any and all info is great. One of the guys in the group has been looking around the Sheridan and Spearfish S.D. area. One of the outfitters is Crow peak ( I think) but the web site seems alittle dated, like back to 2002 or so. What I have read about the plauge makes me wonder if it has cut down on outfitters in S.D. i KNOW nothing A\about the P-dog plague since there are only ground hogs to shoot around here and development of all the farms into subdivisions are killing all their habitat. The Seach goes on. :) gun)

I have never seen any effects of plague here, they are pretty much thriving. Just don't spend too much time playing sock puppets with the carcass and you should be fine ha ha. If ya have to take pictures with your kill, just move them with a lengthy stick to avoid getting their fleas (carrier of the plague) on ya.

Best advice on the plague with these guys, is exactly what your mother always told ya. DON'T PLAY WITH DEAD THINGS

or maybe I just had a strange childhood....who knows ha ha

I don't think we will have a need for pics unless it is the elusive 1000 yd dog, then I would want a video directed by Speilberg !!!! :D

Lol ya dogs over 1000 are abundant, hitting them? not so much haha. My farthest kill is 718 with my 22-250, but I Plan on getting it rebarreled next summer to 22-250AI with a tighter twist, so I can shoot the 75-80ish grain pills to buck the wind better for them long shots. With the 40 grainers I use, they sure blow up good at 4135fps, but even a breath of wind wreaks havoc past 400 yards.

I have a Savage Model 10 in .223 and 69 grain Outback shells are the ones that shoot the best. It is sub.5 at 100yds and I just got a .308 Savage model 10 and have yet to shoot it. ( the boss said Santa didn't come early for me.):rolleyes: I will also be bringing a Stag model SA6 in .223. I have a Winchester 22-250 but I just have never been able to get it dialed in all the years I have owned it which is about 40. It shoots ok about 1.5 to 2.00 moa but that just doesn't do it . I really need to get it bedded but in all the years I never have got around to it. I would do it myself but the gun is kinda sentimental and I would be scared I would screw it up. I havee pillar bedded and glass bedded stocks before but for some reason I just don't think I will do that one.

I built my son an AR for his 21st birthday and he is taking that one and he is going to build another on with a varmint barrel to take as well. along with his .17 my .22mag and everybody elses guns we should be well armed if nothing else.gun)gun) I just hope we all have a good time just as a group just as much as a good hunt to be honest. That is why we are really looking for the right place to go. I really do appreciate all the info so far. Seems like a great bunch on this site.