First Post: Rem 700 Action Question

dimecovers3

I would like to build a very accurate and very light weight treestand deer rifle. I am thinking 7mm/08 this week for caliber, but am open to suggestions (I do not handload). My question is this; when you want to start with a Remington action what is the best to have blueprinted and what is likey to turn out the best: A.) Rem. 700 short action moly or S.S., B.) Rem Titanium 700 short action (I hope this is just as good for trueing as other metals, i.e. Stainless and regular blued to save weight, or C) Remington model 7 ? I have always heard the 700 short action was better than a model 7 action in accurcy dept., but don't know why and is there a big differance in the ADL and BDL (with floorplate) as I would prefer a magazine or floorplate, but I think that Titanium action only comes with blind magazine. Lastly, I was thinking of a McMillian pounder, Lillja barrel or Hart (but what contour and twist for 140 grs.?) stay with the stock trigger (cleaned up) and a nice 2.5 x8 Leupold or maybe 2x10 Nikon. Please any suggestions are appreciated. I am hoping to get a five pound rifle that will put three shots in a very tight group ( say 1/4 to 3/8" Thanks in advance,
Steve

check out the GA Nontypical (Ian's post at the top of the forum), can do it in any caliber and you would need a 10 twist for the 140s

Steve,
what you are talking about sounds just like a Forbes "Ultralite Arms" rifle. what im trying to say is you can buy what you want to build, its already there! not sure what those rifles sell for these days, but ive shot afew and really like them.
Daniel J. Ludwig

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.