Rem 700 action wrench question

BPS

I recently entered the world of barrel swapping.

I bought a Sinclair Barrel Vise & Sinclair Rear Entry Action wrench from a member of another forum, he's actually been walking me through this.

The vise & Action wrench showed up yesterday but the wrench doesent fit my action.

On the ejection side of my bolt, there is a groove in the side of the bolt lug.

The bolt runs on a thin channel the length of the action.

Heres a picture of my bolt

IMG_1714.jpg

The action wrench I have doesent have this groove milled in it, so it won't fit..

I contacted the seller & he's going to ship me the correct wrench.

My question is do they make a rear entry action wrench for the newer style 700 actions like mine??

Or is it the other style that goes through the side of the action like this one you get from Brownells??

I would prefer the rear entry style, it looks like it would be alot stronger & have less tendency to twist my action.

Thanks, Lee

I recently entered the world of barrel swapping.

I bought a Sinclair Barrel Vise & Sinclair Rear Entry Action wrench from a member of another forum, he's actually been walking me through this.

The vise & Action wrench showed up yesterday but the wrench doesent fit my action.

On the ejection side of my bolt, there is a groove in the side of the bolt lug.

The bolt runs on a thin channel the length of the action.

Heres a picture of my bolt

IMG_1714.jpg

The action wrench I have doesent have this groove milled in it, so it won't fit..

I contacted the seller & he's going to ship me the correct wrench.

My question is do they make a rear entry action wrench for the newer style 700 actions like mine??

Or is it the other style that goes through the side of the action like this one you get from Brownells??

I would prefer the rear entry style, it looks like it would be alot stronger & have less tendency to twist my action.

Thanks, Lee

I like and use the action wrench that brownells sells that fits the outside of the receiver and aligns
the recoil lug at the same time.

This wrench will fit other actions and all you have to purchase for it to fit some actions is a block
that has the right diameter for the action and you can use the rest of the wrench as is.

J E CUSTOM

I like and use the action wrench that brownells sells that fits the outside of the receiver and aligns
the recoil lug at the same time.

This wrench will fit other actions and all you have to purchase for it to fit some actions is a block
that has the right diameter for the action and you can use the rest of the wrench as is.

J E CUSTOM

got to be carefull with the internal action wrenches. I've seen a couple actions that were sprung (guess that's the right word to use) from over torqueing. Have never used the Brownells (or seen one). I did build a barrel wrench once that used a roll over clutch with a breaker bar. You then used the internal wrench and the other to remove the barrels. Worked like a charm
gary

I have action wrench that fits outside of action and holds position of recoil lug at same time-but be careful as any movement will scar the bluing. Hart sells an internal wrench that I prefer to use. It is one piece with a "T" at the back that allows very sensitive feel so as not to over tighten. Maybe break lose tight barrels with outside wrench and from then on use the internal wrench

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.