First NRL Hunter match

keclark

Just finished shooting my first NRL Hunter match this past weekend and man it was a good time. I've got a few gear changes to make like adding a dbm to my rifle (single feeding a top feed rifle sucks) and a longer bipod, but otherwise I felt like I was as prepared as I could have been for my first time.
Hopefully I can travel to a couple more matches this year so I don't have to wait a whole year to do this again.

Just finished shooting my first NRL Hunter match this past weekend and man it was a good time. I've got a few gear changes to make like adding a dbm to my rifle (single feeding a top feed rifle sucks) and a longer bipod, but otherwise I felt like I was as prepared as I could have been for my first time.
Hopefully I can travel to a couple more matches this year so I don't have to wait a whole year to do this again.

We'll be at 4 matches this year. Our Pro brake line is the official muzzle brake of NRL hunter. I have all the fancy gear and still suck. Fun matches though.

Ken

I have not shot any official PRS or NRL hunter matches yet, but I can say that having a DBM even just for my local long range competitions makes a big difference.

What bipod were you running and which bipod are you thinking about switching to?

I have not shot any official PRS or NRL hunter matches yet, but I can say that having a DBM even just for my local long range competitions makes a big difference.

What bipod were you running and which bipod are you thinking about switching to?
Yeah not having a dbm was a huge time killer. It's a must have for NRL imo.

I was using the Atlas CAL but it was too short for all the stages but two. I ended up shooting off my tripod either sitting or kneeling for a majority of the match, which can be very stable, but it takes time to build up.

Based on how many people I saw using them, the MDT Ckye pod triple pull is the unofficial official bipod of NRL Hunter. I've got my sights set on one of them

Yeah not having a dbm was a huge time killer. It's a must have for NRL imo.
I'm an exception I guess, I really prefer a top loader. They tend to feed and function so much more smoothly and more reliably.

I gave up on PRS when the round counts for individual stages began to get so high, and the allowed times so short as to make it not just difficult, but impossible to even get all the shots off with a top loader, despite starting with a full mag, 5 rounds in the loops on my stock pack, plus more in a cartridge carrier on my belt.

I was a little disappointed, as NRL had alleged to be different, something a regular hunter guy (or gal 😜) could go shoot with a normal rifle and minimal equipment, but it seems to have just become a slightly different equipment race than PRS so, meh... not my thing.

But good for you, and anyone who is at least out there getting good practice in. 👍

I'm an exception I guess, I really prefer a top loader. They tend to feed and function so much more smoothly and more reliably.

I gave up on PRS when the round counts for individual stages began to get so high, and the allowed times so short as to make it not just difficult, but impossible to even get all the shots off with a top loader, despite starting with a full mag, 5 rounds in the loops on my stock pack, plus more in a cartridge carrier on my belt.

I was a little disappointed, as NRL had alleged to be different, something a regular hunter guy (or gal 😜) could go shoot with a normal rifle and minimal equipment, but it seems to have just become a slightly different equipment race than PRS so, meh... not my thing.

But good for you, and anyone who is at least out there getting good practice in. 👍
Check out the ultimate hunter competitions. They have stricter gear requirements to try to keep it hunter friendly.