first post..... first question

snake oil

New to the group and new to the long range thing,tried it a few years back and it did not work out,had a 7mm STW then,before Rem did them.Sold it and went back to little stuff.I have found the limit to my Rem 700 7mm-08 and I'm going to build a 300 Win mag,this is what I have,long action 700 off of a 30-06 matt,26in SS 300 WM Douglas made by Micky Coleman,Rem take off Sendero HS stock,and a Nikon 6X18 BDC......NOW WHAT DO I NEED.

thanks for having me on the form.
snake oil

Snake oil, Glad to see you're out of the fire and back into the frying pan. Lots of solid info here and knowledgeable members. A quality trigger would be my next addition along with good rings and solid bases.Selections abound but the distances you aspire to will impact your choice there.
AS for "What do I need?" Think scarecrow! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

yes and no to the reloading,yes I can and will,just not set up to do it because of move.

The distance thing..I'm in the east and this is for whitetails and elk if I ever get west again,most of my shot you can cover with a 30-30,but I have a few power line cut outs you can get 600yd but,the people next door has cut the trees off and you can get 1200 plus there,just want to try the long stuff on paper to see if I can and have a good 500Yd hunting gun to fall back on,was thinking about do 6.5-284 to play with but never found a tube that would not break the bank,did not want to burn up a new one just learning to drive it,so found the 300 and jumped on it,still would like to have the 6.5 and if the 284 did not work I would punch it to STW..

AS to what do you need:
1- a quality lasar range finder
2- A good ballistics soft ware program ( such as EXBALL)
3- a quality chronograph
4- Practice

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.