First Loads: Range Results

If you are going to do 5 shot groups then just make sure that your barrel has time to cool down. I usually only do 3 shot groups when I am testing at first and then if I find ONE that I really like, I will do a five shot group with it and see how it does.

If you dont let your barrel cool during the 5 shot group, you will find that you start having random fliers on the 4th and 5th shot. This is especially true if you have a thin barrel.

If you are going to do 5 shot groups then just make sure that your barrel has time to cool down. I usually only do 3 shot groups when I am testing at first and then if I find ONE that I really like, I will do a five shot group with it and see how it does.

If you dont let your barrel cool during the 5 shot group, you will find that you start having random fliers on the 4th and 5th shot. This is especially true if you have a thin barrel.

Thanks...Must be tired today, I didn't think about that. with the factory sporter barrel, I know I'll have to let it cool down. I think I'm going to take your advice, and use this test as the last one to weed things out, and find my load. thinking that either the 43.5 or 44.3 will be it, but I'm interested to see how things go. probably stay at 100 yards for this one, then find the top 2 and take them out to 200 for the final test. Also going to try to seat them a little longer,

next batch will be neck sized only, I think

Went to the range yesterday with mixed results again. 43.8 of varget performed OK at 100 and 200 yards, 43.5 was a mess at 100, and at 200, 1 shot missed the paper, and the other 2 were touching each other, so I may try that load one last time. 44.3gr was a real mess. The thing is, I set my COAL longer this time, so I am thinking that could be part of the problem. Next time, I'm going to go shorter and see how that works

I had 2 hot rounds with the 43.5 which hasn't happened before, total primer blow out on both of them, and managed to get my ejector jammed back into my bolt head. I had ZERO pressure signs on my other cartridges I am very confused, it's very possible that I over loaded the powder, but I had zeroed my scale between each load amount, so I am wondering if there are other possibilities also. The bolt was a little hard to close though, the thing is the brass was FL sized, so the cases shouldn't have been too long. is it possible that I had too much run out on the loads, and that created the extra pressure? I haven't had any of these problems with the same powder amounts with my COAL set shorter. I am not trying to say that I couldn't have over charged those 2 cartridges (I think it's likely I did), I just want other possibilities as well, other mistakes I may have made, so I can ensure safe loading and shooting

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.