first groups with 22-250 AI excited! but confused?

John-Pure Precision

LRH Sponsor
I was tired of looking at the peices of my 22-250 AI build just sitting in a box, so I put my 26" SS match select shillen barrel on my model 10 savage action using head space gauges I bought from Midway. put the Bell and carlson Varmint tactical medolist stock on and last but not least my NF 5.5-22x56 scope. This build took a grand total of 20 minutes of assembley and bore sighting!
Starting load 35 grains H-1000
75 grain A-MAX
Win. brass, CCI 200 primer
loaded .003 off lans.
I shot three groups at 100 yards and the first three shots of each group got me excited and pumped about this gun. I let my fourth shot of each group fly and my fifth would go right back to the others.
Here is the crazy part of this! Through my chrono. my speed with this load was only 2380 FPS. and my spreads were between 60 and 90 FPS! That is flat out horrible in my mind. I didn't know I could makes a 22-250 shoot so slow! My confusion is why were the groups as tight as they were with such speed difference? Does this meen that this rifle will shoot lights out with a finaly tuned round?

PB300176.jpg

PB300166.jpg

I was shooting off a bench with the Bipod you see and a sand bag in the back. Any oppinions or advice on what direction I should go would be great. Thanks guys

Ive never shot a 250AI but, my 6.5*300 weatherby uses that powder, try h4350, i think you are waaaaaaaaay to slow on burn rate. ed

That is what I figured but I pulled the load off of Hodgen's web site. The load was for 70 grain bullets, I am shooting 75 grain so I bumped it back a grain. Thanks for the info I have some RL 15 and I will give that a try too.

i had 1 years ago and used h-414 or w-760 worked real well. then i was shooting 52 grainers over 4k fps.
mike

at a 100 yrds, velocity spreads are not that critical. You can have huge swings with great groups. that is why shooting over a chrono helps, because at long range that FPS ES will bite in the butt.

Try shooting the groups at 300 and the velocity and vertical spread will show its self much better.

I would think h-1000 is way slow for the 22-250, but what do I know? Heck I would think H4350 would be closer, but still slow.

Trophy Hunter,
Nice looking rifle. Looks and sounds like it's going to be a fun rifle to work with as those first few groups are promising. It is encouraging when a rifle starts out shooting good from the git-go. Have fun. JohnnyK.

Trophy Hunter,
Nice looking rifle. Looks and sounds like it's going to be a fun rifle to work with as those first few groups are promising. It is encouraging when a rifle starts out shooting good from the git-go. Have fun. JohnnyK.

Thanks johnnyk for the comments. I love these savage builds more and more everytime I put one togeather. I think she will turn in to a shooter, all for under 1000.00

Thanks a lot Tank for the links for the load data. That is the most data I have found on 22-250 AI. I will post picks of new groups when I get out there shooting. gun)

Question:
Were you fire-forming these cases with this load?
I've had some extreme spreads during fire-forming, but accuracy at 100yards was WOW! Now that I'm thinking about it, think some of my best accuracy from my only AckleyImproved rifle was during fire-forming?(That'll be something to go look at today)

I definitely like something a little faster on the burn chart of the 22-250.

Scott

i shot lots of 75 grain amaxes and had alot of trouble keeping them consistant. also that is way to slow for that bullet. mine shot its best ever 5 shot group at 100 when they were flying at 3150fps. also since i mentioned i had issues with consistancy i went to a 70 berger and never looked back.
as far as reloder 15 you can't go wrong. i have used it for both bullets ,varget works great also. try 33.3 grains of rl15 and seat the amax .005 off the lands. it will prob shoot great.

I know Kirby (Fiftydriver) has a 22-250AI that he uses. You may want to look him up and see what he is using and loads. He is one of our vendors on the sight.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.