First Elk/Muley Hunt (lessons learned)

Hi all, long time lurker and first post here. As an Idaho elk hunter, I can say for certain that it is easy to be sitting just a 30 min hike from camp or truck, late afternoon, and see an animal you want to go after, 1-3 miles in the opposite direction from camp. Hike that mile or two, re-acquire animal, he has moved another half mile, close that distance, pull the trigger at last light and even with great shot placement an elk can cover some distance dead on his feet. Now you need to quarter him, and before you know it, it is 10pm and you have a few hours' hike back to truck or camp. Throw in weather and you could be in trouble. At minimum, you would like to be able to haul out some meat on the first trip back.

Not saying you were not prepared for that, but it sneaks up on a lot of guys who have the mindset of "I can see my truck from here, no need to go overboard on gear."

I have had several times where the gut pile was a couple miles from where I was sitting when I spotted the elk.

Eric

That situation you just described is why I won't go elk hunting alone. That coupled with the time constraints of the hunt. If I've got to move 350lbs of meat plus my hunting gear at 60lbs of meat a trip its going to take me at least 6 trips times five miles is 60 miles round trip total. Between the weight of my pack, bino's and weapon, plus the aforementioned bare necessities of survival. I'm going to be at least 80 lbs heavy on half of that trip. 20 miles a day is probably a stretch. I'd have to stop hunting 3 days early for fear of running out of time to pack out assuming a bear didn't get on it before I got it all out.

Sounds like setting myself up for failure.

It wasn't really an issue on this trip as most of the areas we had access to were state sections, which are 1 square mile, you couldn't legally shoot a bull any further than that it would be on private property, plus my uncle has horses in town.

Last edited:
I shipped most of my gear ahead of me and then flew back with it, if I had brought just what I actually used I could have saved a ton of money on shipping.

I'll still drive next year, the shipping on meat is just too high, it costs over 1500 to ship a processed elk back to my house, just shipping.

Yep! It cost my son and his buddy $400 for a 100 lbs of venison 3-day air (MT to FL) in 2016. But they're both Captains in the USAF and single so they can afford it. :D

Adikted, thanks for sharing your experience and lessons learned! I also enjoy hearing real stories instead of what you see on TV and in the magazines. Like you I am a self-taught elk hunter from the flat lands but moved to the mountains of Idaho a few years ago. I just turned 50 and still hunt harder than anyone I know. I will share these Lessons Learned with you:
- select a state/area that meets your requirements, offers over the counter tags and stick with it for 5 years. being successful at elk hunting (without a guide) means being able to find them in. We say "elk are where you find them". Every year is different - wet or dry, hot or cool, fires and smoke, logging operations, roads and access changes... If you stick to an area (that holds elk) you will learn how these variables affect their movement. The best hunters I know can tell you what elk are eating any time of the year and where preferred water sources are. Getting to know one small area (say 2 or 3 drainages) well is better than bouncing around several areas and not getting to know them well.
- a lot of young hunters are gear focused" rather than learning about their quarry, habitat, weather... My Minimum Equipment List (MEL) highly variable depending on what type of hunt I am doing that day. An early archery hunt is much different than a late rifle hunt. Safety and simplicity are my rules. As far as safety you need to balance the probability of

an accident or having to spend a night or two out in weeds with the weight in your pack. If you hunt steep slopes with lots of blow down and deep snow, the probability of serious leg injury is very real. Another reason not to hunt alone. Staying dry, starting a fire and communicating are key if I have to spend an unplanned night in the weeds. I would add bear spray to your MEL if you're in bear country. Know how to use it and deploy it quickly. I have never had to spray a bear but I have sprayed a belligerent rutting bull moose.

I hope this helps. I can tell you are quick learner. Good hunting!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.