First day of hunting for the year

Korhil78

I can't believe that I have waited this long to go coyote hunting. But here it is late October and Wednesday was my first coyote hunt for the year. Went to a new area to try out which has a lot of rolling hills to set up on. Got set up by a windmill on my first stand but it was a bust. Went further down the dirt road and found a good brushy area to set up in. I set up the caller about 50 yards away. I had the wind going from my right to my left in an open field. Fired up the shockwave on lighting jack and a minute later I could hear a group of coyotes calling out. They were directly behind me and were not far off at all. I leave the caller going and just do a 180 so I am watching out towards my rear now. I figured if one of them came by that I would get the shot.

Nothing was coming from that direction. I would look behind me towards the caller every now and then but nothing was coming that way either. After 15 mins of calling, I figured that they are not going to come so I stand up and turn to go get the caller and there are two yotes standing about 50 yards away from my caller. I kneel down and get lined up but the one I picked to shoot first started getting ancy and started to trot off. I bark at them and they stop. I pop the first one and he drops. The second one starts to take off but the coyote pup in distress call kicks in from my foxbang feature in the shockwave. He stops immediately and turns around. I pop him too. A very satisfying double.

image.jpg

I sit about 3 more stands but only call in one other coyote which I killed. He ran into some thick mesquite and died so I didn't figure getting poked by those thorns was worth getting a pic.

Was a fun first outing.

Yessir, I really like it. It sure puts them down. After I am done with the 120 gr ballistic tips, I am switching to the 123 gr AMAX behind a charge of IMR 8208. No real reason to switch as the ballistic tips work well but I wanted to try something new.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.