First custom build

Thank You very much Feenix. That is greatly appreciated. I have located a stock that needs refinishing for a Rem 700, so that's done. By the way, I like that rifle, is that gunsmith still operating? That is almost exactly what I want to do.

Last edited:
$3000 won't touch a nicely done, wood stocked custom. That's why synthetic stocks have become so popular.

I completely agree with shortgrass, which is why I have been using the B&C Medalist stocks a lot.

The first 700 I built in class was a 6.5X55mm BJAI. I did it for just under $1300, including having the bolt face opened up and an M16 extractor installed by Straight Shot Gunsmithing since I didn't know if it was going to be covered in that class, but it needed to be done since I found my standard bolt face wouldn't fit the Lapua brass I wanted to use.

Good luck and keep us informed of your progress.

Yes, after looking at some nice wood, I picked my jaw off the floor and looked at B&C. They're just 4 hours away. Couple prairie dog towns on the way too! And thanks for the advice, I really do appreciate it!:) By the way, the Rem700 stock I thought I had acquired, was not. So B&Cj

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.