First custom build

Kgkimerer

Planning my first custom build. The 6.5 Swede. However, I have an unfortunate addiction to wood. I know it's heavy. Which action? I am interested in a M24 Mauser action for sale here, but then I would have to have it D&T, bolt and trigger. Would I be better off trying to find a Savage or Remington donor? Any input would be helpful. Thanks,

I'm just starting another 6.5x55 myself.. have built about 14 rifles in last 3 yrs. for all the grandkids, very partial to remington actions, very easy to true, and many many after market parts easily obtained. I mainly use B&C m40 style stocks, but have used wood lam on three, Accurate innovations are fantastic stocks. Tried one "bobby Hart"
and won't do it again, stock looks great, but took over 3 hrs. with milling mach. to get proper fit in alum. bedding block.

Planning my first custom build. The 6.5 Swede. However, I have an unfortunate addiction to wood. I know it's heavy. Which action? I am interested in a M24 Mauser action for sale here, but then I would have to have it D&T, bolt and trigger. Would I be better off trying to find a Savage or Remington donor? Any input would be helpful. Thanks,

I Like the Mausers but for ease of building, the 700 Remington would be my first choice.

The Savage is another option but the variety of after market parts is not as good. The price of the action is about the same as the 700.

Almost any gunsmith prefers the 700 action and will/can work on them. I have done many Savages and do away with the barrel nut to end up with a larger shank and recoil lug. (Just my preference).

You should be able to find a good 700 donor for 400+ complete with bottom metal and trigger
and all you would have to do is re barrel and stock with the stock of your choice.

J E CUSTOM

Just looking around, I can buy an ADL for what an action costs, unless I'm not looking in the right places. Also, I think I want at least a 26" barrel, if not 28. Just every bit of velocity please. Timney, Jewell, Huber, or Basix triggers? Any advice at all would be appreciated, Thanks. :) I see some smiths advertising 300 or so for blue printing actions. Seems too cheap.

Last edited:
I like 26" bbls
truing actions on Rem 700 is very easy
The Timney Calvin Elite is a great trigger

It's kinda hard to make any recommendations unless you provide us your "actual" budget for your custom build (i.e., $3K for rifle only) because budget will drive which components to recommended.

For instance, on my current project build, I have the following components thus far ...

$1000 - BHA SR2 LA with 20 MOA rail
$ 715 - XLR element chassis with folding adapter, tac lite butt stock, and 5-rd LM CIP mag
$ 375 - 27" SS Lilja 1:9" .308 cal 3-groove Sendero contour barrel
$ 170 - Timney CE trigger
$2260

Just to give you an idea. Hope this helps.

Good luck!

Ed

My budget would run around 1800-2500Depending on stock and glass. Of course I would like to keep it to 1800 if possible. Thinking that a used 700 action, pac-nor, timney CE, and Leupold. I don't know if that's what I should do or not. I really need a smith walk me through this.

Ey
My budget would run around 1800-2500Depending on stock and glass. Of course I would like to keep it to 1800 if possible. Thinking that a used 700 action, pac-nor, timney CE, and Leupold. I don't know if that's what I should do or not. I really need a smith walk me through this.

So I don't misconstrue your post, your max budget for rifle and glass is $2500 right? Also, do you have any component(s) already or are you starting from scratch?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.