First antelope and did it with revolver

Congrats on a nice handgun harvest!!! I'm an avid handgun hunter and have several hunting rigs. . .it is addicting!!! Tell us about your handgun and load.
Nice! I like the hook he has in the horns.
Tell us a little more about your revolver, (what is a BFR) and load/ bullet.
It's a 44 mag BFR (Big Frame Revolvers). I didn't have time, nor components, to load ammo for it and decided to go with factory Sellier and Bellot 240 grain SJHP since I was getting 1.5-2.0 inches at 100 yards with it. Not a fancy ammo but does a great job, I even used it on a young elk cow, it was about 40 yards and she did go about 80-90. I wouldn't use it on larger elk tho which isn't a problem, for the next year I'll load some cutting edge bullets for hunting.

Attachments

• IMG_20230928_192310694.jpg
    IMG_20230928_192310694.jpg
    429.8 KB · Views: 23
What are your thoughts on the .360 Buckhammer?
I'm being sucked down another Rabbit 🐇 hole
😬
I have a 350 legend BFR and I killed one whitetail with it last year at 90 yards. That's a long cylinder revolver and it has some room in cylinder when chambered in 350 legend. I was thinking of making a wildcat, longer 350 legend, to use extra 7/8" (if I remember right) of space in cylinder. Right after that Remington came out with 360, which is more or less just ultra 350 legend.

Anyway, what I think of it? Well I think it can be very useful and it will be easier to load since it has rimmed case. 350 is rimless and you have to make sure case isn't too long, otherwise it won't chamber. It will do great on deer, on elk as well up to probably 100 yards, maybe little further. Problem I have with it, since I started shooting 44 mag BFR I realized how heavy is long cylinder version. If I am getting long cylinder version I would get 460 S&W. Paying the price of heavy gun will make sense if you go full power and 460 offers a ton of power with the "flattest" trajectory among big bore revolver calibers. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
It's a 44 mag BFR (Big Frame Revolvers). I didn't have time, nor components, to load ammo for it and decided to go with factory Sellier and Bellot 240 grain SJHP since I was getting 1.5-2.0 inches at 100 yards with it. Not a fancy ammo but does a great job, I even used it on a young elk cow, it was about 40 yards and she did go about 80-90. I wouldn't use it on larger elk tho which isn't a problem, for the next year I'll load some cutting edge bullets for hunting.
Not a thing thing wrong with factory loads that get the job done. Especially when you shoot them that well.
My oldest Son has done pretty well on bears with his 44 mag super Blackhawk with 260gr hard cast wide flat nose bullets that we load for it.
The guy behind him is one of my best friends, they are his dogs.
Again, good job!

Attachments

• IMG_0137.JPG
    IMG_0137.JPG
    202.5 KB · Views: 27