First (and Last) Bow Suggestions

Havingfun

Looking for suggestions to narrow options for a GOOD bow. Here's the scenario. I am 60 years old, good shape (can still benchpress my own weight) and have finally decided now that I'm getting close to retirement, that I'll have more time to hunt so I'm making the move to extend and upgrade the quality of my hunting time.

My son has bow hunted for years and has finally convinced me to make the move.
As backgound: I do a lot of shooting (rifle), and hunting and I insist on quality equipment and optics. I don't like to waste $$ just to be fashionable but I do believe that quality comes with a price so I'll pay whatever I think is fair for a premium product that suits my needs. I also only to want to buy once! My intention is that I will make my purchase and learn to shoot that bow until I'm good with it. (I also know to Never say "Never" but I am not the kind that keeps upgrading for the next best "thing". That is why I need your help with my original decision.

So having said all that, I am seeking recommendations for the top 3, 4, or 5 premium bows (not just brand but the MODEL) that I should go and test based on my needs.
Again, I'm 60, in good healthand I'll be hunting mainly whitetail deer at reasonable distances and I can afford to purchase best quality right up front but that doesn't mean I'm willing to go crazy and waste my hard earned money anymore that you would. I also want a bow that as I get older, it can still handle.

Thus far, I am thinking in terms of Hoyt, Mathews (maybe the new NOCAM) , PSE, and the new Obsession bows but I'm open to anything the collective (all of you) tend to agree on. (BTW: Not interested in a cross bow at this time.)

Again, I am going to test them all (the top five or so) but really want to take advantage of the vast experience of the existing bow hunters to at least narrow down the numbers.
Thanks to all.

Ask your son recommendation. I have bow hunted bout 40 yr shot all bows mentioned then some. My last 3 Bowtech, bows dont hold value like rifle good used ones are avaliable, fit for draw length very important.

Getting the bow set up for you correctly is the most important part of getting a bow. I would find a quality pro shop, and get fitted correctly with what they sale/ recommend. Each time I get a new bow, I shoot the latest models of the three they carry. (Hoyt, Mathews, bowtech) and pick the one that feels best to me. I have seen a lot of guys buy used or buy from somewhere like Cabelas and end up with a bow that doesn't fit them correctly. They never reach their potential and dont know it. I really believe the top bows are all good and it becomes a ford/ Chevy thing. You will likely pay more at a proshop but you are more like to reach your potential and be satisfied with the money you spent. Good luck with your decision

Two years ago I went to the pro shop and bought my first bow. My requirements were: something easy to shoot and hunt elk with. I was not interested in speed and I only had $1000 dollars to spend. They set me up with a Hoyt Charger, peep sight, Scott Shark release, Tru-Glo five pin sight, Whisker Biscuit rest, and half a dozen carbon arrows for target shooting for around $800. I am 6' 4", 240 pounds and 47 years old so I got the 60-70# draw weight with my 30" draw length. I started with the 60# draw weight and increased it gradually so in 6 months of shooting I was pulling 70# and ruining arrows at 20 yards by grouping so tight. I had to get a five dot target and only shoot one arrow per target. I love that bow and recommend trying it.

My younger daughter who is 11 had Santa bring her a Bowtech Diamond Infinity Edge for Christmas this year. She is still growing and I love the fact the draw length is so adjustable as well as the draw weight without a bow press. She is pulling 20# with a 24" draw length and that bow will adjust to a 30" draw length and a 70# weight. She is shooting it fairly well now as I plan on her pulling at least 50# in 18 months where she can hunt elk with me. We have a 70 yard range in the back yard and shoot nightly.

Personally I would strongly consider that mathews no cam. This is hands down the smoothest compound bow I've drawn and it shoots like a dream. I have little doubt you will ever need a new bow, in fact my old mathews ultramax harvested a doe this yr by a friend of mine. That bow is about 15yrs old.

Depending on your expectations there are a few things I would avoid: Cheap uncomfortable releases, whisker biscuits, rage broadheads and non mainstream arrows such as black eagle. I would be very meticulous when putting your bow together b/c I've seen some proshops set people up w/ crap they can't sell in the shop.

I always tell people to go to a pro shop and shoot as many bows as you can before you make a decision. After I bought my Dren, the desire to ever buy another bow left compared to other brands I had previously. The technology and options have really increased since then, so you'll have no problem finding the perfect for for you that won't leave you wanting for newer latter.

My son got his first bow this summer. We recently moved so I took the owners advice at the pro shop near us over my old dealer in our old state who had recomended something else. I hate the **** bow and pretty sure it was the owner only had brand x on display so thats what he was pushing not the best fit for my son. They had the lower poundage bow banded so wasn't an option for my son to shoot. I knew better and should have went somewhere that would have let him shoot what they had. So, what I had hoped to be a bow for the next 5 years or more for my kid will be getting replaced a lot sooner sadly because of bad advice and net not following my golden rule of trying as many as possible.

There is nothing wrong with a whisker biscuit. I have shot, nurmous types of rests including drop aways. The WB is my fav. Before I got hurt, I had no problems sticking deer at 60 yards using a WB or getting amazing groups. I practiced for even further and my only limitations were me. I had no issues tuning my bow with the WB, etc never ran into some of issues I had with other rests. I like the kiss approach for rests and the WB def did that for me.

I work in a pro shop, so well... I shoot the bows a little bit. Have to know your products right??

I personally shoot a Hoyt and love it. BUT after shooting the Elite Synergy I will probably have it as my next one. It has a tall brace height and a longer Axle to Axle length therefore it is going to be as forgiving as possible. People say that those things dont matter and are therefore shooting 27 or 28" ATA bows, but I am here to tell you they are crazy. Bowhunting is a very difficult thing, therefore I want to have equipment that may not make me an excellent shot, but at least doesnt magnify my mistakes.

Plus the Elites point like crazy, the valley is unbelievable. Once they are drawn back you can almost just lay them aside until you are ready to shoot. :D

There is a lot of good advice in this thread! You will not go wrong with any of the major brand bows. Definitely look for longer axle to axle bows and taller brace heights as mentioned they will build your confidence faster. I also retired my old Matthews ultra max this year and actually went with a bear brand bow this go around. There are so many personal preferences for setting up a bow and models of bows it is unbelievable. Buy descent quality equipment let a reputable pro shop fit the bow to you and shoot it a lot more than you do your rifle lol and you will be in business when ol big dad walks by this coming fall. I truly feel that your mechanics better be muscle memory when it's time to make a difficult shot or it ain't happening no matter how good your equipment is! My ultra max is way down the list when it comes to advanced technology anymore but I guarantee anything inside of 30 yards is in big trouble if it finds itself a target. Btw +1 for the whisker biscuit. No moving parts and arrows don't ever fall off! There is nothing worse than watching a 150 class whitetail walk off because your dang rest froze up and won't work! Bow hunting is a whole different ball game than LRH. Enjoy your new bow and have fun with it! I commend and look up to you for picking something up later in life it motivates me. Thank you!! Show us some pics when you get ur rig!

Want to than all who have provided their input on this subject. I have found each to be very frank and extremely helpful and most of all, all provided in a genuine spirit of being supportive of a new bow hunter.

I in fact did test drive the Mathews No-Cam last week and was really impressed with both the shop pro and the bow itself. He didn't have a No-Cam that fit me in the shop but he adjusted one down to reasonably close for me to at least get a feel. I need a 26.5" bow and his were in the 27 to 27.5 range. He suggested I only needed a 50-60 lb bow to do the hunting I described I'll be doing and agreed that speed isn't all folks try to portray it to be. He shoots a 60-70 lb bow and keeps it down on the lower end himself.

He suggested I test drive the Obsession and the Hoyts I mentioned before I make a decision.

I'll say however, when I released the No-Cam, it surprised me when it released and it was absolutely quiet. I was easily hitting my aimpoint after only a couple of attempts.

I'll keep testing and will report back my findings from the complete novice perspective.

Thanks again to all.

well here is my 2 cents. first as others have said do not go off what others say. go shoot as many as you can see which fits, fells the best. find a draw cycle you like grip etc. I bought my last new one 2 yrs ago ( a hoyt spyder) I shot Mathews, elite, bowtech, and pse. all have positives but I like hoyt it feels good and the draw cycle was smooth with a soilid back wall. the pse was fun to shoot but as I get older the agressivness was a bit much when you settle in it feels like its gonna pull you shoulder off very aggressive. go to a pro shop and be fitted. ive seen some interesting things come out of bass pro.

I have been in the outdoor industry for a long time. I have had the pleasure to shoot all the new bows that come out every year. I have also been a long time Mathews fan and shooter. I have hunted with other brands as well big and small companies.

The new Mathews no cam shoots extremely well, best I have probably ever shot. The best speed bow I have shot would be the Mathews Chill-R for as fast as it is it is very smooth.

All my local shops have dropped bowtech. They simply won't honor there warranty with limb breakage, which seems to be a big problem with them.

PSE hasn't came out with anything "great" in the last couple years. I would say there DNA is there best shooter.

Hoyt, They seem stiff in the draw cycle and just never felt good in my hand.

Elite, they have a smooth draw, not as good as the mathews No-cam, but what I really dislike is the spongy back wall at full draw.

Athens archery, smaller company but they are really starting to make strides. They make a good all around cam and a half bows.

Bear, they have upped their speed and price but quality is still on the low side.

G5, I have shot the prime and its a nice shooting bow.

Haven't shot a strother yet.

Hope this helps

The Mathews No Cam is definitely sweet bow. Smooth draw, no vibration, and seems to have a solid back wall. I currently shoot a PSE DNA. It is the best all around bow I have owned. The most important thing is to try all the bows and see which you prefer.

Yip find a price range on bow yea wanna spend & let um fly till u say yea I like this one the best and don't pay attension to name personally I'm a hoyt owner but it's a ford Chevy between mattewes & hoyt

The elite energy 35 or the new synergy are probably the smoothest most comfortable bows i have ever shot. I would highly recomend them to someone wanting a bow that they can shoot for a long time. I would focus on shootability and comfort not speed. I think a stable easier shooting bow is what ur looki g for.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.