Got my first bow...

novaman64

I took a un-supervised visit to Cabellas yesterday (bad idea).. Anyways I have been wanting a bow for a while and been shooting some of my friends, couple different model Matthews... Ended you shooting 4 different bows there (PSE (2 different models), Bear and Diamond), and a ton of arrows... Ended up shooting the best with a Bear Charge. Picked up the package for $400 (quiver, sights, level, stabilizer and all the other bells and whistles). Tried different draw lengths (he measured me, then we changed them a bunch) ended up at 27" and 60lbs. Got some Gold Tip Hunter XT shafts (they cut them down and got them all setup for me), Scott Shark release, field tips and string wax. Then after everything was set he helped me adjust my peep and pins and even gave me kinda brief tutorial on proper form and anchor points. Glad they spent the time with me, had I just picked up a bow off ebay like I was going to it probably never would have been setup for me properly! Needless to say I will be practicing on squirrels and ready for bow season next year!

Plan on doing some turkey hunting with this and then next year deer hunting... Any recommendation on tips?

Last edited:
Good luck, bow hunting is just as bad as LRH. Join a winter shooting league, that will get you up and running faster, with bow junkys helping you out.

Participate in as many 3-D tournaments as possible. Use your range finder to develop a better sense of distance. I tell the people running the turnaments, up-front, that I am not competing, but practicing and will be using a range finder.

As long as I keep my trap shut and don't tell the other shooters I am grouped with what the distances are, the people running the match have no problem with me using the range finder.

Best of luck,

Congrats on your purchase, the bear charge is the best entry level bow i have seen, shot 1 myself and can see no reason to spend 200.00 to 300.00 dollars more. Unless you need a designer name. Their customer service is top notch, something you don't always get when you spend more.

Congrats on the recent purchase.As was stated earlier winter leagues and 3D shoots. The more you practice the confidence you will have. Use the rangefinder but also shoot without it. In the field you may not have time to use the rangefinder. But most important is have fun and shoot lots.

lol long range to short range. both a challenge. One to see how far you can get an animal then the other to see how close. both are a blast and have fun with the squirles. My favorite is ground squirlle hunting

Good luck, bow hunting is just as bad as LRH. Join a winter shooting league, that will get you up and running faster, with bow junkys helping you out.

have to agree a good indoor shooting league will do wonders. and like others said just be prepared archery is just as addicting as lrh. I've spent tons of money on archery gear between me and the wife but just as that settled down a bit I got a new gun and there goes all the money again. Just remember to have fun and not take it too seriously.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.