first 7mag loads

firstcoueswas80

well, i got my 7mag dies today. i loaded several different bullets with several different powders! i loaded 140 SGK, 140 NAB, 139 hornady interlockts 120 TSX with R22, h4350 and h4831sc.all loads are with winchester cases, f215m primers. i will probably be testing these on saturday wish me luck!
Casey

Good luck. Sounds like something in there will shoot at least .75" Hopefully the SST shoots good because there fairly high BC bullet, and they are cheap to boot!!! More practice.

My bad, no SST is in the lineup. I meant the Sierra GK. Usually very accurate bullets. Have shot a couple groups under .25" with the 117g SGK with my factory winchester in 25-06. Cheap to!

i have heard that the R22 powder is more sensative to temp. than say hodgon, is this true? where i shoot it is above 7,000 feet but where i hunt is below 4,500.

fcw80,
Yes, the alliant powders such as R25 & R22 are more sensitive to altitude and temp. They usually give higher velocities, but the inconsistencies that I have experienced with them have made me shy away from them and start using Hodgdon Extreme powders. I shoot the big 30s such as the .308 Warbird and 300 RUM, and with Retumbo, I'm getting consistent velocities and performance.

I'm not sure about the IMR powders, but if that is what Remington is using in their factory ammo, I will never use it. I was led to believe that Rem maybe using 7828 for the 300RUM, and I had extreme spreads of +100fps through ONE BOX of factory sciroccos.

Lastly, the most important thing to do between your load testing, is CLEAN YOUR BARREL...you maybe already aware of this, but it should be top priority when you are shooting bullets that are constructed of different metal alloys. I had a hell of a time trying to get Barnes bullets to shoot after testing ballistic tips in my Warbird. I cleaned my barrel and voila, got my first 1/2" group with that gun and barnes XLCs.

Good luck with it all, when you do find the load that works for you, you'll be on cloud nine.

when shoot them i will let you know how they work. but in all fairness to them barnes reccomends.050 off the lands, i do not know how to tell depth off the lands so i set them a a length that "looks" right and that cycles well in my rifle. i have done this with all of my rifles with succes.

You may be surprised by the accuracy of the accubond and the hornady.. The sierra GK 160 I´ve shot in mine never did too well though.

For accuracy and high BC go to a 160 accubond or try the 162 a max. also.

Alg, i have had excellant accuracy with the accubond out of my 270, 270wsm and my dads 7 ultra mag. all of them will shoot under 1/2 inch. the 270 does 1/2 inch with factory ammo!

If you would like a simple tool to aid in seating depth, you can get a Stoney Point bullet depth gauge from Midwayusa.com

It is good that you've had success by visual inspection in the past. However, if you want to know the numbers, I recommend a gauge. It comes with any dummy brass you want and extra calibers are not that expensive.

When I checked my 7mag with the 120 tsx, it was seated so far out that minimal bearing surface of the bullet was in the neck. Not enough tension IMO. The rifle still printed 1.2" groups but that is not what I'm looking for. As I seated it deeper, the groups spread.

Ok, but you mentioned not knowing how far off the lands. That is why I mentioned the SP gauge. That will tell you base to ogive which is what I thought you wanted to know.

First loads on a 7 Mag, it is a very accurate cartridge. First of all the 140g Sierra is a bullet better designed for the 7/08 than the 7 Mag, it will detonate. The 160g BT sp on the other hand will not.

In all cases, bullets seated to touch the lands with a Davidson ojive guage.

The best loads that I have found over the years in many 7 mags are as follows:

140g Nosler either BT or Accubond
Rem brass
9 1/2 primer
64-65g of IMR 4350

150g Nosler BT
63.0g of IMR 4350
Rem brass
9 1/2

160g Sierra or 162g Hornady
Remm brass
9 1/2
61.0g of IMR 4350

In all cases, bullets seated to touch the lands!

If the rifle does not shoot these loads, sell the gun, no Sxxt!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts