Finishing up my rifle setup - sling and bipod

Atlas is way too expensive. I'm not even close to interested in them. Many competition shooters successful use the Harris and reading the above comments makes me believe a bipod isn't a necessary accessory.

For hunting purposes I have found a bi-pod is just a lump of extra weight. Particularly so here in the mountains.

1) If I'm shooting from the prone, my pack is sufficient (even if I have to increase it's size/volume a bit) and my bi-pod isn't necessary.

2) If I'm shooting from a kneeling, sitting or standing position my bi-pod isn't tall enough. Maybe a solution for this problem would be to have a taller (heavier) bi-pod. However, I still have carry it....

On the other hand, instead of carrying another (somewhat hefty) piece of gear I can simply tie/band my hiking poles together and essentially "create" a tall bi-pod. Problem solved.

+1! For me the bipod serves 2 purpose ...

1. To provide a stable platform as noted above.
2. To provide a safe means to secure the rifle while at rest, glassing, or relieving myself. :D:rolleyes::cool:

Cheers!

Makes pretty good prop too :D:):rolleyes::cool: ...

1024091042b.jpg

For hunting purposes I have found a bi-pod is just a lump of extra weight. Particularly so here in the mountains.

1) If I'm shooting from the prone, my pack is sufficient (even if I have to increase it's size/volume a bit) and my bi-pod isn't necessary.

2) If I'm shooting from a kneeling, sitting or standing position my bi-pod isn't tall enough. Maybe a solution for this problem would be to have a taller (heavier) bi-pod. However, I still have carry it....

On the other hand, instead of carrying another (somewhat hefty) piece of gear I can simply tie/band my hiking poles together and essentially "create" a tall bi-pod. Problem solved.

My bipod allows me to transition from prone to sitting (13"-27" IIRC). I used to worry about extra weights but concentrated on all year around conditioning regimen instead to help me in my Montana mountain wilderness hunts. Below are a couple of pictures of my .270 AI with 30" barrel (~10 lbs as seen).

1116141048_zps31535348.jpg

1101141037_zpsac79443d.jpg

Cheers!

My bipod allows me to transition from prone to sitting (13"-27" IIRC). I used to worry about extra weights but concentrated on all year around conditioning regimen instead to help me in my Montana mountain wilderness hunts.

Great points and duly noted. I desperately need to make fitness a priority in my life again. I've been on about a 4-year hiatus with nothing more than hiking and some recreational bicycling. I gotta get serious about it again.

So yeah, I'll be giving this a thorough consideration. I need to weigh my rifle with bi-pod mounted to see how it feels/balances. Right now she's sitting at ~10lbs all up (minus a blind-mag full of ammo).

Below are a couple of pictures of my .270 AI with 30" barrel (~10 lbs as seen).

Cheers!

That is a *very* nice rig! I'll bet she's a hammer a looonng way's out.

I have the TAB Biathlon Elite sling. It is the best sling I have used. I have the Sloan, and a TON of other slings. For comfort, and slinging in to your rifle, the TAB is one of the best out there. I have the one with the cobra buckles which allows very quick access to your rifle.

Do you mean Slogan or Sloan? Just to be clear.

My bipod allows me to transition from prone to sitting (13"-27" IIRC). I used to worry about extra weights but concentrated on all year around conditioning regimen instead to help me in my Montana mountain wilderness hunts. Below are a couple of pictures of my .270 AI with 30" barrel (~10 lbs as seen).

Cheers!

So if I do get a bipod are folks recommending the 13-27" models?

I desperately need to make fitness a priority in my life again. I've been on about a 4-year hiatus with nothing more than hiking and some recreational bicycling. I gotta get serious about it again.

I have to admit, at 53 years young, it gets harder each time but I know I have to put the time and effort to stay in good health and better shape to go after the majestic elk. :D

That is a *very* nice rig! I'll bet she's a hammer a looonng way's out.

Thanks! It shoots better than I do. :cool:

So if I do get a bipod are folks recommending the 13-27" models?

That depends on your terrain and shooting position preference. I have 6-9" bipod but they are too low for most of my hunting areas (i.e. tall grass, snow, etc ). As noted, I prefer the 13-27" so I can transition from prone to sitting position.

Cheers!

Is the TAB Gear $100 better than the Slogan?

Well, that depends on what you are looking for. In my opinion, yes, but the TAB had exactly the features I was looking for. A biathlon sling with a shooting cuff. I'm an old, very old smallbore ex-competitor, and I just like the ability to sling into my rifle. Carrying my 14.5 lb. rifle is pretty simple and comfortable with this sling.

There are other cheaper alternatives, but this sling "appears", and so it should, to be highly overbuilt, and designed for very abusive treatment.

I agree it's "very" expensive. I wish it wasn't, but I don't think I will ever have to buy another one, unless it is lost, or stolen. I'm sure you can send it back if you are unhappy, they seemed very helpful when I was talking with them about their equipment. Good luck on your choice.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts