Finished a rifle with Duracoat

Dave, Sorry I didn't get back sooner. Duracoat says you should not go above about 110 deg. 100-105 seems to be great. I can spray, let it sit for 30-40 minutes in the box and then tape and spray the next color. I have not had any trouble doing it this way. Duracoat is designed as a time cure epoxy as opposed to a heat cure epoxy, so too much heat can cause problems such as cracking and flaking (from what I have heard, though I have never tested it). From my extensive talks with the men at Duracoat, They say that full hardness is acheived in 3-4 weeks. The finish can be handled and even shot, within days, but it will continue to become more durable within the first few weeks. I have found that it does not like handguns and kydex holsters. They say that spraying it over parkerizing is the most durable application. So far all the rifles I've done were just matte blasted and painted, with no problems. Good luck, it is a fun finish [image]
bda2a8e3.jpg
[/image] [image]
d7f41113.jpg
[/image]

257speed

Thanks for the reply and info.

I believe I like the finish pattern on the upper rifle the better of the two, I'm a fan of long distance (big blotches) camo vice the short range stuff (smaller blotches). The bottom seems to me to be a mix of the two and is very nice but that top one has got my attention, seems pretty effective in that environment.

Dave, I like the upper one better myself. I have done it in woodland colors also and it looks great. The lower one was done specifically to match Predator camo clothing. Feel free to e-mail me, I have learned some little tricks that make the camo patterns turn out really nice.

Roy, As far as I know, there is no change in the heat retention that I have noticed. That's certainly not to say there isn't, but I sure have not noticed it. I have done a number of semi and full auto AR's and M-4's and they still heat up the same under full auto fire.

I love Duracoat and have been using it for several years now. I think it's the toughest thing on the market. After the Duracoat has fully cured (6 weeks), you can degrease and clean with Gun Scrubber - it just cleans the crud off of your Duracoat coating too.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.